1. Trichiasis - epilate (pull out) the offending lashes with forceps.
2. Entropion - use Steristrips or Sellotape as a temporary measure to pull the lower lid off the globe - to do this (Fig. 2.30):
■ place one end of a Steristrip on the skin just below the lashes
■ pull down gently until lashes are pulled off the globe
■ stick other end onto cheek
■ use three Steristrips in a row.
3. Stain the cornea with dilute fluorescein and look for lash-induced abrasions.
4. If corneal staining is present prescribe chloramphenicol ointment 1% three times daily for 5 days.
5. Refer to ophthalmologist for definitive surgery.
Was this article helpful?