2. Habib HN, Berger J, Winter CC (1965) Teaching transurethral surgery using a cow's udder. J Urol 93:77-79
3. Narwani KP, Reid EC (1969) Teaching transurethral surgery using cadaver bladder. J Urol 101:101
4. Fiddian RV (1967) A method of training in periurethral resection. Brit J Urol 39:192-193
5. Cervantes L, Keitzer WA (1960) Endoscopic training in urology. J Urol 84:585-586
6. Trindade JC, Lautenschlager MF, de Araujo CG (1981) Endoscopic surgery: a new teaching method. J Urol 126:192
7. Lardennois B, Clement T, Ziade A, Brandt B (1990) Computer simulation of endoscopic resection of the prostate. Ann Urol 24:519-523
8. Ballaro A, Briggs T, Gracia-Montes F, Mac Donald D, Emberton M, Mundy AR (1999) A Computer generated interactive transurethral prostatic resection simulator. J Urol 162:1633-1635
9. Michel MS, Knoll T, Köhrmann KU, Alken P (2002) The URO mentor: a new computer based interactive training system for virtual life-like simulation of diagnostic and therapeutic endourological procedures. BJU Int 89:174-177
Herbert Leyh, Roger Paul Introduction - 10
Pathogenesis of Urethral Strictures - 10
Preoperative Preparation - 10
Anaesthesia - 10
Indications - 10
Limitations and Risks - 11
Contraindications - 11
Instruments - 11
Operative Technique (Step by Step) - 12
Operative Tricks - 14
Postoperative Care - 14
Common Complications - 14
Laser Urethrotomy - 15
Outcome - 15
References - 15
Is the urethrotomy procedure still up to date?
Since open urethroplasty for treatment of urethral strictures has the highest and longest-lasting success rate, the question of why we still perform a large number of internal urethrotomies arises. What are the advantages of the endourological incision?
Urethrotomy ™ is a simple procedure, ™ it can be performed even under local anesthesia,
™ it can be performed as an outpatient procedure,
™ in most cases open surgery would be an over-treatment.
Therefore, internal urethrotomy performed for proper indications also has a role in the future in the treatment of urethral strictures.
Was this article helpful?