1. Pryzant RM, Meistrich ML, Wilson G, Brown B, McLaughlin P. Long-term reduction in sperm count after chemotherapy with and without radiation therapy for non-Hodgkin's lymphomas [published erratum appears in J Clin Oncol 1993 May;11:1007]. J Clin Oncol 1993;11:239-247.
2. Meistrich ML, Chawla SP, Da Cunha MF, et al. Recovery of sperm production after chemotherapy for osteosarcoma. Cancer 1989;63:2115-2123.
3. da Cunha MF, Meistrich ML, Fuller LM, et al. Recovery of spermatogenesis after treatment for Hodgkin's disease: limiting dose of MOPP chemotherapy. J Clin Oncol 1984;2:571-577.
4. Watson AR, Rance CP, Bain J. Long term effects of cyclophosphamide on testicular function. Br Med J Clin Res Ed 1985;291:1457-460.
5. Rivkees SA, Crawford JD. The relationship of gonadal activity and chemotherapy-induced gonadal damage. JAMA 1988;259:2123-2125.
7. Shalet SM, Tsatsoulis A, Whitehead E, Read G. Vulnerability of the human Leydig cell to radiation damage is dependent upon age. J Endocrinol 1989;120:161-165.
7a. Padron OF, Sharma RK, Thomas AJ, Jr., Agarwal A. Effects of cancer on spermatozoa quality after cryopreservation: a 12-yr experience. Fertil Steril 1997;67:326-331.
8. Vigersky R, Chapman R, Berenberg J, Glass A. Testicular dysfunction in untreated Hodgkin's disease. Am J Med 1982;73:482-486.
9. Chapman RM, Sutcliffe SB, Malpas JS. Male gonadal dysfunction in Hodgkin's disease. A prospective study. JAMA 1981;245:1323-1328.
10. Viviani S, Ragni G, Santoro A, et al. Testicular dysfunction in Hodgkin's disease before and after treatment. Eur J Cancer 1991;27:1389-1392.
11. Hendry W, Stedronska J, Jones C, CA B, Barrett A, Peckham M. Semen analysis in testicular cancer and Hodgkin's disease: pre- and post-treatment findings and implications for cryopreservation. Br J Urol 1983;55:769-773.
12. Shekarriz M, Tolentino MV, Jr., Ayzman I, Lee JC, Thomas AJ, Jr., Agarwal A. Cryopreservation and semen quality in patients with Hodgkin's disease. Cancer 1995;75:2732-2736.
13. Barr RD, Clarke DA, Booth JD. Dyspermia in men with localised Hodgkin's disease. A potentially reversible, immune-mediated disorder. Med Hypoth 1993;40:165-168.
14. Meirow D, Schenker JG. Cancer and male fertility. Hum Reprod 1995;10:2017-2022.
16. Chapman RM, Sutcliffe SB, Rees LH, Edwards CR, Malpas JS. Cyclical combination chemotherapy and gonadal function. Retrospective study in males. Lancet 1979;1:285-289.
17. Whitehead E, Shalet SM, Blackledge G, Todd I, Crowther D, Beardwell CG. The effects of Hodgkin's disease and combination chemotherapy on gonadal function in the adult male. Cancer 1982;49:418-422.
18. Clark ST, Radford JA, Crowther D, Swindell R, Shalet SM. Gonadal function following chemotherapy for Hodgkin's disease: a comparative study of MVPP and a seven-drug hybrid regimen. J Clin Oncol 1995;13:134-139.
19. Viviani S, Santoro A, Ragni G, Bonfante V, Bestetti O, Bonadonna G. Gonadal toxicity after combination chemotherapy for Hodgkin's disease. Comparative results of MOPP vs ABVD. Eur J Cancer Clin Oncol 1985;21:601-605.
20. Mackie EJ, Radford M, Shalet SM. Gonadal function following chemotherapy for childhood Hodgkin's disease. Med Pediatr Oncol 1996;27:74-78.
21. Charak BS, Gupta R, Mandrekar P, et al. Testicular dysfunction after cyclophosphamide-vincristine-procarbazine-prednisolone chemotherapy for advanced Hodgkin's disease. A long-term follow-up study. Cancer 1990;65:1903-1906.
22. Howell SJ, Radford JA, Shalet SM. Testicular function following cytotoxic chemotherapy—evidence of Leydig cell insufficiency. J Clin Oncol 1999;17:1493-1498.
23. Bokemeyer C, Schmoll HJ, van Rhee J, Kuczyk M, Schuppert F, Poliwoda H. Long-term gonadal toxicity after therapy for Hodgkin's and non-Hodgkin's lymphoma. Ann Hematol 1994;68:105-110.
24. Radford JA, Clark S, Crowther D, Shalet SM. Male fertility after VAPEC-B chemotherapy for Hodgkin's disease and non-Hodgkin's lymphoma. Br J Cancer 1994;69:379-381.
25. Muller U, Stahel RA. Gonadal function after MACOP-B or VACOP-B with or without dose intensification and ABMT in young patients with aggressive non-Hodgkin's lymphoma. Ann Oncol 1993;4:399-402.
26. Hill M, Milan S, Cunningham D, et al. Evaluation of the efficacy of the VEEP regimen in adult Hodgkin's disease with assessment of gonadal and cardiac toxicity [see comments]. J Clin Oncol 1995;13:387-395.
27. Sanders JE, Hawley J, Levy W, et al. Pregnancies after high-dose cyclophosphamide with or without high-dose busulfan or total-body irradiation and bone marrow transplantation. Blood 1996;87:3045-3052.
28. Chatterjee R, Mills W, Katz M, McGarrigle HH, Goldstone AH. Germ cell failure and Leydig cell insufficiency in post-pubertal males after autologous bone marrow transplantation with BEAM for lymphoma. Bone Marrow Transplant 1994;3:519-522.
29. Hansen SW, Berthelsen JG, von der Maase H. Long-term fertility and Leydig cell function in patients treated for germ cell cancer with cisplatin, vinblastine, and bleomycin versus surveillance. J Clin Oncol 1990;8:1695-1698.
30. Stuart NS, Woodroffe CM, Grundy R, Cullen MH. Long-term toxicity of chemotherapy for testicular cancer—the cost of cure. Br J Cancer 1990;61:479-484.
31. Lampe H, Horwich A, Norman A, Nicholls J, Dearnaley DP. Fertility after chemotherapy for testicular germ cell cancers. J Clin Oncol 1997;15:239-245.
32. Palmieri G, Lotrecchiano G, Ricci G, et al. Gonadal function after multimodality treatment in men with testicular germ cell cancer. Eur J Endocrinol 1996;134:431-436.
33. Siimes MA, Elomaa I, Koskimies A. Testicular function after chemotherapy for osteosarcoma. Eur J Cancer 1990;26:973-975.
34. Aasebo U, Slordal L, Aanderud S, Aakvaag A. Chemotherapy and endocrine function in lung cancer. Acta Oncol 1989;28:667-669.
35. Wallace WH, Shalet SM, Lendon M, Morris Jones PH. Male fertility in long-term survivors of childhood acute lymphoblastic leukaemia. Int J Androl 1991;14:312-319.
36. Speiser B, Rubin P, Casarett G. Aspermia following lower truncal irradiation in Hodgkin's disease. Cancer 1973;32:692-698.
37. Centola GM, Keller JW, Henzler M, Rubin P. Effect of low-dose testicular irradiation on sperm count and fertility in patients with testicular seminoma. J Androl 1994;15:608-613.
38. Hahn EW, Feingold SM, Nisce L. Aspermia and recovery of spermatogenesis in cancer patients following incidental gonadal irradiation during treatment: a progress report. Radiology 1976;119:223-225.
39. Kinsella TJ, Trivette G, Rowland J, et al. Long-term follow-up of testicular function following radiation therapy for early-stage Hodgkin's disease. J Clin Oncol 1989;7:718-724.
40. Shapiro E, Kinsella TJ, Makuch RW, et al. Effects of fractionated irradiation of endocrine aspects of testicular function. J Clin Oncol 1985;3:1232-1239.
41. Giwercman A, von der Maase H, Berthelsen JG, Rorth M, Bertelsen A, Skakkebaek NE. Localized irradiation of testes with carcinoma in situ: effects on Leydig cell function and eradication of malignant germ cells in 20 patients. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 1991;73:596-603.
42. Howell SJ, Radford JA, Adams JE, Shalet SM. The impact of mild Leydig cell dysfunction following cytotoxic chemotherapy on bone mineral density (BMD) and body composition. Clin Endocrinol (Oxf) 2000;52:609-616.
43. Howell SJ, Radford JA, Smets EMA, Shalet SM. Fatigue, sexual function and mood following treatment for haematological malignancy—the impact of mild Leydig cell dysfunction. Br J Cancer 2000;82:789-793.
44. Howell SJ, Radford JA, Adams JE, Smets EMA, Warburton R, Shalet SM. Randomised placebo controlled trial of testosterone replacement in men with mild Leydig cell insufficiency following cytotoxic chemotherapy. Clin Endocrinol 2001;55:315-324.
45. Monteil M, Rousseaux S, Chevret E, Pelletier R, Cozzi J, Sele B. Increased aneuploid frequency in spermatozoa from a Hodgkin's disease patient after chemotherapy and radiotherapy. Cytogenet Cell Genet 1997;76:134-138.
46. Robbins WA, Meistrich ML, Moore D, et al. Chemotherapy induces transient sex chromosomal and autosomal aneuploidy in human sperm. Nat Genet 1997;16:74-78.
47. Genesca A, Benet J, Caballin MR, Miro R, Germa JR, Egozcue J. Significance of structural chromosome aberrations in human sperm: analysis of induced aberrations. Hum Genet 1990;85:495-499.
48. Robbins WA. Cytogenetic damage measured in human sperm following cancer chemotherapy. Mutat Res 1996;355:235-252.
49. Royere D, Barthelemy C, Hamamah S, Lansac J. Cryopreservation of spermatozoa: a 1996 review. Hum Reprod Update 1996;2:553-559.
50. Aboulghar MA, Mansour RT, Serour GI, et al. Fertilization and pregnancy rates after intracytoplas-mic sperm injection using ejaculate semen and surgically retrieved sperm. Fertil Steril 1997;68:108-111.
51. Ward JA, Robinson J, Furr BJ, Shalet SM, Morris ID. Protection of spermatogenesis in rats from the cytotoxic procarbazine by the depot formulation of Zoladex, a gonadotropin-releasing hormone agonist. Cancer Res 1990;50:568-574.
52. Delic JI, Bush C, Peckham MJ. Protection from procarbazine-induced damage of spermatogenesis in the rat by androgen. Cancer Res 1986;46:1909-14.
53. Kurdoglu B, Wilson G, Parchuri N, Ye WS, Meistrich ML. Protection from radiation-induced damage to spermatogenesis by hormone treatment. Radiat Res 1994;139:97-102.
54. Pogach LM, Lee Y, Gould S, Giglio W, Huang HF. Partial prevention of procarbazine induced germinal cell aplasia in rats by sequential GnRH antagonist and testosterone administration. Cancer Res 1988;48:4354-4360.
55. Meistrich ML, Parchuri N, Wilson G, Kurdoglu B, Kangasniemi M. Hormonal protection from cyclophosphamide-induced inactivation of rat stem spermatogonia. J Androl 1995;16:334-341.
56. Kangasniemi M, Wilson G, Huhtaniemi I, Meistrich ML. Protection against procarbazine-induced tes-ticular damage by GnRH-agonist and antiandrogen treatment in the rat. Endocrinology 1995;136:3677-3680.
57. Meistrich ML, Kangasniemi M. Hormone treatment after irradiation stimulates recovery of rat sper-matogenesis from surviving spermatogonia. J Androl 1997;18:80-87.
58. Kangasniemi M, Huhtaniemi I, Meistrich ML. Failure of spermatogenesis to recover despite the presence of a spermatogonia in the irradiated LBNF1 rat. Biol Reprod 1996;54:1200-1208.
59. Johnson DH, Linde R, Hainsworth JD, et al. Effect of a luteinizing hormone releasing hormone agonist given during combination chemotherapy on posttherapy fertility in male patients with lymphoma: preliminary observations. Blood 1985;65:832-836.
60. Waxman JH, Ahmed R, Smith D, et al. Failure to preserve fertility in patients with Hodgkin's disease. Cancer Chemother Pharmacol 1987;19:159-162.
61. Kreuser ED, Hetzel WD, Hautmann R, Pfeiffer EF. Reproductive toxicity with and without LHRHA administration during adjuvant chemotherapy in patients with germ cell tumors. Horm Metab Res 1990;22:494-498.
62. Brennemann W, Brensing KA, Leipner N, Boldt I, Klingmuller D. Attempted protection of spermato-genesis from irradiation in patients with seminoma by D-Tryptophan-6 luteinizing hormone releasing hormone. Clin Invest 1994;72:838-842.
63. Ortin TT, Shostak CA, Donaldson SS. Gonadal status and reproductive function following treatment for Hodgkin's disease in childhood: the Stanford experience [see comments]. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 1990;19:873-880.
64. Das PK, Das BK, Sahu DC, Mohanty GN, Rath RN. Male gonadal function in Hodgkin's disease before and after treatment. J Assoc Physicians India 1994;42:604-605.
65. Mulhall JP, Burgess CM, Cunningham D, Carson R, Harris D, Oates RD. Presence of mature sperm in testicular parenchyma of men with nonobstructive azoospermia: prevalence and predictive factors. Urology 1997;49:91-95.
66. Brinster RL, Zimmermann JW. Spermatogenesis following male germ-cell transplantation [see comments]. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 1994;91:11298-11302.
67. Brook P, Radford J, Shalet S, Joyce A, Gosden R. Isolation of germ cells from human testicular tissue for low temperature storage and autotransplantation. Fertil Steril 2001;75:269-274.
68. Clayton PE, Shalet SM, Price DA, Campbell RH. Testicular damage after chemotherapy for childhood brain tumors. J Pediatr 1988;112:922-926.
69. Vilar O. Effect of cytostatic drugs on human testicular function. In: Mancini RE, Martini L, eds. Male Fertility and Sterility. Academic, London, 1974, pp. 5, 423-440.
70. Wallace WH, Shalet SM, Crowne EC, Morris Jones PH, Gattamaneni HR, Price DA. Gonadal dysfunction due to cis-platinum. Med Pediatr Oncol 1989;17:409-413.
Was this article helpful?
Learning About 10 Ways Fight Off Cancer Can Have Amazing Benefits For Your Life The Best Tips On How To Keep This Killer At Bay Discovering that you or a loved one has cancer can be utterly terrifying. All the same, once you comprehend the causes of cancer and learn how to reverse those causes, you or your loved one may have more than a fighting chance of beating out cancer.