1. Dobs AS, Dempsey MA, Ladenson PW, Polk BF. Endocrine disorders in men infected with human immunodeficiency virus. Am J Med 1988;84:611-616.
2. Grinspoon S, Corcoran C, Lee K, et al. Loss of lean body and muscle mass correlates with androgen levels in hypogonadal men with acquired immunodeficiency syndrome and wasting. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 1996;81:4051-4058.
3. Laudat A, Blum L, Guechot J, et al. Changes in systemic gonadal and adrenal steroids in asymptomatic human immunodeficiency virus-infected men: relationship with the CD4 cell counts. Eur J Endocrinol 1995;133:418-424.
4. Raffi F, Brisseau JM, Planchon B, Remi JP, Barrier JH, Grolleau JY. Endocrine function in 98 HIV-infected patients: a prospective study. Aids 1991;5:729-733.
5. Arver S, Sinha-Hikim I, Beall G, Guerrero M, Shen R, Bhasin S. Serum dihydrotestosterone and testosterone concentrations in human immunodeficiency virus-infected men with and without weight loss. J Androl 1999;20:611-618.
6. Berger JR, Pall L, Hall CD, Simpson DM, Berry PS, Dudley R. Oxandrolone in AIDS-wasting myopathy. Aids 1996;10:1657-1662.
7. Rietschel P, Corcoran C, Stanley T, Basgoz N, Klibanski A, Grinspoon S. Prevalence of hypogonadism among men with weight loss related to human immunodeficiency virus infection who were receiving highly active antiretroviral therapy. Clin Infect Dis 2000;31:1240-1244.
8. Mhawech P, Onorato M, Uchida T, Borucki MJ. Testicular atrophy in 80 HIV-positive patients: a multivariate statistical analysis. Int J STD AIDS 2001;12:221-224.
9. Shevchuk MM, Nuovo GJ, Khalife G. HIV in testis: quantitative histology and HIV localization in germ cells. J Reprod Immunol 1998;41:69-79.
10. Lo JC, Schambelan M. Reproductive function in human immunodeficiency virus infection. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 2001;86:2338-2343.
11. Shevchuk MM, Pigato JB, Khalife G, Armenakas NA, Fracchia JA. Changing testicular histology in AIDS: its implication for sexual transmission of HIV. Urology 1999;53:203-208.
12. Dulioust E, Du AL, Costagliola D, et al. Semen alterations in HIV-1 infected men. Hum Reprod 2002;17:2112-2118.
13. Umapathy E, Simbini T, Chipata T, Mbizvo M. Sperm characteristics and accessory sex gland functions in HIV-infected men. Arch Androl 2001;46:153-158.
14. Zhang H, Dornadula G, Beumont M, et al. Human immunodeficiency virus type 1 in the semen of men receiving highly active antiretroviral therapy. N Engl J Med 1998;339:1803-1809.
15. Habasque C, Aubry F, Jegou B, Samson M. Study of the HIV-1 receptors CD4, CXCR4, CCR5 and CCR3 in the human and rat testis. Mol Hum Reprod 2002;8:419-425.
16. Muciaccia B, Filippini A, Ziparo E, Colelli F, Baroni CD, Stefanini M. Testicular germ cells of HIVseropositive asymptomatic men are infected by the virus. J Reprod Immunol 1998;41:81-93.
17. da Silva M, Shevchuk MM, Cronin WJ, et al. Detection of HIV-related protein in testes and prostates of patients with AIDS. Am J Clin Pathol 1990;93:196-201.
18. Paranjpe S, Craigo J, Patterson B, et al. Subcompartmentalization of HIV-1 quasispecies between seminal cells and seminal plasma indicates their origin in distinct genital tissues. AIDS Res Hum Retro-viruses 2002;18:1271-1280.
19. Hales DB. Testicular macrophage modulation of Leydig cell steroidogenesis. J Reprod Immunol 2002;57:3-18.
20. Ben-Rafael Z, Orvieto R. Cytokines—involvement in reproduction. Fertil Steril 1992;58:1093-1099.
21. Torpy DJ, Chrousos GP. The three-way interactions between the hypothalamic-pituitary-adrenal and gonadal axes and the immune system. Baillieres Clin Rheumatol 1996;10:181-198.
22. Debus N, Breen KM, Barrell GK, et al. Does cortisol mediate endotoxin-induced inhibition of pulsatile luteinizing hormone and gonadotropin-releasing hormone secretion? Endocrinology 2002;143:3748-3758.
23. Williams CY, Harris TG, Battaglia DF, Viguie C, Karsch FJ. Endotoxin inhibits pituitary responsiveness to gonadotropin-releasing hormone. Endocrinology 2001;142:1915-1922.
24. Battaglia DF, Beaver AB, Harris TG, Tanhehco E, Viguie C, Karsch FJ. Endotoxin disrupts the estra-diol-induced luteinizing hormone surge: interference with estradiol signal reading, not surge release. Endocrinology 1999;140:2471-2479.
25. Kalra PS, Edwards TG, Xu B, Jain M, Kalra SP. The anti-gonadotropic effects of cytokines: the role of neuropeptides. Domest Anim Endocrinol 1998;15:321-332.
26. Frisch RE, McArthur JW. Menstrual cycles: fatness as a determinant of minimum weight for height necessary for their maintenance or onset. Science 1974;185:949-951.
27. Frisch RE. Fatness and fertility. Sci Am 1988;258:88-95.
28. Frisch RE. Body weight and reproduction. Science 1989;246:432.
29. Foster DL, Nagatani S. Physiological perspectives on leptin as a regulator of reproduction: role in timing puberty. Biol Reprod 1999;60:205-215.
30. Bates GW, Bates SR, Whitworth NS. Reproductive failure in women who practice weight control. Fertil Steril 1982;37:373-378.
31. Cunningham MJ, Clifton DK, Steiner RA. Leptin's actions on the reproductive axis: perspectives and mechanisms. Biol Reprod 1999;60:216-222.
32. Aubert ML, Pierroz DD, Gruaz NM, et al. Metabolic control of sexual function and growth: role of neuropeptide Y and leptin. Mol Cell Endocrinol 1998;140:107-113.
33. Clarke IJ, Henry BA. Leptin and reproduction. Rev Reprod 1999;4:48-55.
34. McCann SM, Kimura M, Walczewska A, Karanth S, Rettori V, Yu WH. Hypothalamic control of gonadotropin secretion by LHRH, FSHRF, NO, cytokines, and leptin. Domest Anim Endocrinol 1998;15:333-344.
35. Raisz LG, Wiita B, Artis A, et al. Comparison of the effects of estrogen alone and estrogen plus androgen on biochemical markers of bone formation and resorption in postmenopausal women. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 1996;81:37-43.
36. Stein Z, Susser M, Rush D. Prenatal nutrition and birth weight: experiments and quasi-experiments in the past decade. J Reprod Med 1978;21:287-299.
37. Susser M, Stein Z. Timing in prenatal nutrition: a reprise of the Dutch Famine Study. Nutr Rev 1994;52:84-94.
38. Kirchengast S. Differential reproductive success and body size in Kung San people from northern Namibia. Coll Anthropol 2000;24:121-132.
39. Coodley GO, Loveless MO, Nelson HD, Coodley MK. Endocrine function in the HIV wasting syndrome. J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr 1994;7:46-51.
40. Salehian B, Jacobson D, Grafe M, McCutchan A, Swerdloff RS. Pituitary-testicular axis during HIV infection: A prospective study. Presented at the 18th annual meeting of the American Society of Andrology. Vol. Abstract 9. Tampa, Florida, April 15-19, 1993.
41. Dobs AS, Few WL, 3rd, Blackman MR, Harman SM, Hoover DR, Graham NM. Serum hormones in men with human immunodeficiency virus-associated wasting. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 1996;81:4108-4112.
42. Kotler DP, Tierney AR, Wang J, Pierson RN, Jr. Magnitude of body-cell-mass depletion and the timing of death from wasting in AIDS. Am J Clin Nutr 1989;50:444-447.
43. Chlebowski RT, Grosvenor MB, Bernhard NH, Morales LS, Bulcavage LM. Nutritional status, gastrointestinal dysfunction, and survival in patients with AIDS. Am J Gastroenterol 1989;84:1288-1293.
44. Rabkin JG, Rabkin R, Wagner GJ. Testosterone treatment of clinical hypogonadism in patients with HIV/AIDS. Int J STD AIDS 1997;8:537-545.
45. Meyer-Bahlburg FH. HIV positive gay men: sexual dysfunction. Proc VI Int Conf AIDS. Vol. Abstract 701, 1989.
46. Brodsky IG, Balagopal P, Nair KS. Effects of testosterone replacement on muscle mass and muscle protein synthesis in hypogonadal men—a clinical research center study. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 1996;81:3469-3475.
47. Mauras N, Hayes V, Welch S, et al. Testosterone deficiency in young men: marked alterations in whole body protein kinetics, strength, and adiposity. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 1998;83:1886-1892.
48. Griggs RC, Kingston W, Jozefowicz RF, Herr BE, Forbes G, Halliday D. Effect of testosterone on muscle mass and muscle protein synthesis. J Appl Physiol 1989;66:498-503.
49. Young NR, Baker HW, Liu G, Seeman E. Body composition and muscle strength in healthy men receiving testosterone enanthate for contraception. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 1993;77:1028-1032.
50. Bhasin S, Storer TW, Berman N, et al. The effects of supraphysiologic doses of testosterone on muscle size and strength in normal men. N Engl J Med 1996;335:1-7.
51. Bhasin S, Woodhouse L, Casaburi R, et al. Testosterone dose-response relationships in healthy young men. Am J Physiol Endocrinol Metab 2001;281:E1172-E1181.
52. Bhasin S, Javanbakht M. Can androgen therapy replete lean body mass and improve muscle function in wasting associated with human immunodeficiency virus infection? JPEN J Parenter Enteral Nutr 1999;23:S195-S201.
53. Strawford A, Barbieri T, Neese R, et al. Effects of nandrolone decanoate therapy in borderline hypogo-nadal men with HIV-associated weight loss. J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr Hum Retrovirol 1999;20:137-146.
54. Beal JE, Olson R, Laubenstein L, et al. Dronabinol as a treatment for anorexia associated with weight loss in patients with AIDS. J Pain Symptom Manage 1995;10:89-97.
55. Von Roenn JH, Armstrong D, Kotler DP, et al. Megestrol acetate in patients with AIDS-related cachexia [see comments]. Ann Intern Med 1994;121:393-399.
56. Schambelan M, Mulligan K, Grunfeld C, et al. Recombinant human growth hormone in patients with HIV-associated wasting. A randomized, placebo-controlled trial. Serostim Study Group [see comments]. Ann Intern Med 1996;125:873-882.
57. Waters D, Danska J, Hardy K, et al. Recombinant human growth hormone, insulin-like growth factor 1, and combination therapy in AIDS-associated wasting. A randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled trial [see comments]. Ann Intern Med 1996;125:865-872.
58. Engelson ES, Rabkin JG, Rabkin R, Kotler DP. Effects of testosterone upon body composition. J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr Hum Retrovirol 1996;11:510-511.
59. Coodley GO, Coodley MK. A trial of testosterone therapy for HIV-associated weight loss. AIDS 1997;11:1347-1352.
60. Bhasin S, Storer TW, Asbel-Sethi N, et al. Effects of testosterone replacement with a nongenital, transdermal system, Androderm, in human immunodeficiency virus-infected men with low testosterone levels. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 1998;83:3155-3162.
61. Grinspoon S, Corcoran C, Askari H, et al. Effects of androgen administration in men with the AIDS wasting syndrome. A randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled trial. Ann Intern Med 1998;129:18-26.
62. Dobs AS, Cofrancesco J, Nolten WE, et al. The use of a transscrotal testosterone delivery system in the treatment of patients with weight loss related to human immunodeficiency virus infection. Am J Med 1999;107:126-132.
63. Bucher G, Berger DS, Fields-Gardner C, Jones R, Reiter WM. A prospective study on the safety and effect of nandrolone decanoate in HIV positive patients. International Conference on AIDS. Vol. Abstract Mo.B. 423. Nov. 26, 1996.
64. Gold J, High HA, Li Y, et al. Safety and efficacy of nandrolone decanoate for treatment of wasting in patients with HIV infection. AIDS 1996;10:745-752.
65. Hengge UR, Baumann M, Maleba R, Brockmeyer NH, Goos M. Oxymetholone promotes weight gain in patients with advanced human immunodeficiency virus (HIV-1) infection. Br J Nutr 1996;75:129-138.
66. Strawford A, Barbieri T, Van Loan M, et al. Resistance exercise and supraphysiologic androgen therapy in eugonadal men with HIV-related weight loss: a randomized controlled trial. JAMA 1999;281:1282-1290.
67. Sattler FR, Jaque SV, Schroeder ET, et al. Effects of pharmacological doses of nandrolone decanoate and progressive resistance training in immunodeficient patients infected with human immunodeficiency virus. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 1999;84:1268-1276.
68. Grinspoon S, Corcoran C, Stanley T, Katznelson L, Klibanski A. Effects of androgen administration on the growth hormone-insulin-like growth factor I axis in men with acquired immunodeficiency syndrome wasting. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 1998;83:4251-4256.
69. Bhasin S, Storer TW, Javanbakht M, et al. Testosterone replacement and resistance exercise in HIV-infected men with weight loss and low testosterone levels. JAMA 2000;283:763-770.
70. Roubenoff R, McDermott A, Weiss L, et al. Short-term progressive resistance training increases strength and lean body mass in adults infected with human immunodeficiency virus. AIDS 1999;13:231-9.
71. Kong A, Edmonds P. Testosterone therapy in HIV wasting syndrome: systematic review and meta-analysis. Lancet Infect Dis 2002;2:692-699.
72. Grinspoon S, Corcoran C, Parlman K, et al. Effects of testosterone and progressive resistance training in eugonadal men with AIDS wasting. A randomized, controlled trial. Ann Intern Med 2000;133:348-355.
73. Pope HG, Jr., Cohane GH, Kanayama G, Siegel AJ, Hudson JI. Testosterone gel supplementation for men with refractory depression: a randomized, placebo-controlled trial. Am J Psychiatry 2003;160:105-111.
74. Wang C, Swedloff RS, Iranmanesh A, et al. Transdermal testosterone gel improves sexual function, mood, muscle strength, and body composition parameters in hypogonadal men. Testosterone Gel Study Group. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 2000;85:2839-2853.
75. Wilson JD. Androgen abuse by athletes. Endocr Rev 1988;9:181-199.
76. Katznelson L, Finkelstein JS, Schoenfeld DA, Rosenthal DI, Anderson EJ, Klibanski A. Increase in bone density and lean body mass during testosterone administration in men with acquired hypogonadism. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 1996;81:4358-4365.
77. Wang C, Eyre DR, Clark R, et al. Sublingual testosterone replacement improves muscle mass and strength, decreases bone resorption, and increases bone formation markers in hypogonadal men—a clinical research center study. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 1996;81:3654-3662.
78. Bhasin S, Storer TW, Berman N, et al. Testosterone replacement increases fat-free mass and muscle size in hypogonadal men. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 1997;82:407-413.
79. Snyder PJ, Peachey H, Hannoush P, et al. Effect of testosterone treatment on body composition and muscle strength in men over 65 years of age. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 1999;84:2647-2653.
80. Seidell JC, Bjorntorp P, Sjostrom L, Kvist H, Sannerstedt R. Visceral fat accumulation in men is positively associated with insulin, glucose, and C-peptide levels, but negatively with testosterone levels. Metabolism 1990;39:897-901.
81. Barrett-Connor E, Khaw KT. Endogenous sex hormones and cardiovascular disease in men. A prospective population-based study. Circulation 1988;78:539-545.
82. Marin P, Oden B, Bjorntorp P. Assimilation and mobilization of triglycerides in subcutaneous abdominal and femoral adipose tissue in vivo in men: effects of androgens. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 1995;80:239-243.
83. Urban RJ, Bodenburg YH, Gilkison C, et al. Testosterone administration to elderly men increases skeletal muscle strength and protein synthesis. Am J Physiol 1995;269:E820-E826.
84. Sinha-Hikim I, Artaza J, Woodhouse L, et al. Testosterone-induced increase in muscle size in healthy young men is associated with muscle fiber hypertrophy. Am J Physiol Endocrinol Metab 2002;283:E154-E164.
85. Saartok T, Dahlberg E, Gustafsson JA. Relative binding affinity of anabolic-androgenic steroids: comparison of the binding to the androgen receptors in skeletal muscle and in prostate, as well as to sex hormone-binding globulin. Endocrinology 1984;114:2100-2106.
86. Konagaya M, Max SR. A possible role for endogenous glucocorticoids in orchiectomy-induced atrophy of the rat levator ani muscle: studies with RU 38486, a potent and selective antiglucocorticoid. J Steroid Biochem 1986;25:305-308.
87. Fryburg DA, Weltman A, Jahn LA, et al. Short-term modulation of the androgen milieu alters pulsatile, but not exercise- or growth hormone (GH)-releasing hormone-stimulated GH secretion in healthy men: impact of gonadal steroid and GH secretory changes on metabolic outcomes. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 1997;82:3710-3719.
88. Leslie M, Forger NG, Breedlove SM. Sexual dimorphism and androgen effects on spinal motoneurons innervating the rat flexor digitorum brevis. Brain Res 1991;561:269-273.
89. Blanco CE, Popper P, Micevych P. Anabolic-androgenic steroid induced alterations in choline acetyl-transferase messenger RNA levels of spinal cord motoneurons in the male rat. Neuroscience 1997;78:873-882.
90. Bartsch W, Krieg M, Voigt KD. Quantification of endogenous testosterone, 5 alpha-dihydrotestos-terone and 5 alpha-androstane-3 alpha, 17 beta-diol in subcellular fractions of the prostate, bulbocaver-nosus/levator ani muscle, skeletal muscle and heart muscle of the rat. J Steroid Biochem 1980;13:259-264.
91. Winters SJ. Androgens: endocrine physiology and pharmacology. NIDA Res Monogr 1990;102:113-130.
92. Sattler F, Briggs W, Antonipillai I, Allen J, Horton R. Low dihydrotestosterone and weight loss in the AIDS wasting syndrome. J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr Hum Retroviral 1998;18:246-251.
92a. Coodley GO, Coodley MK. A trial of testosterone therapy for HIV-associated weight loss. AIDS 1997;11:1347-1352.
Was this article helpful?