1. Smyth CM, Bremner WJ. Klinefelter syndrome. Arch Intern Med 1998;158:1309-1314.
2. Amory JK, Anawalt BD, Paulsen CA, Bremner WJ. Klinefelter's syndrome. Lancet 2000;356:333-335.
3. Beighton P, Beighton G, Klinefelter, HF Jr. In: The Man Behind the Syndrome. Springer-Verlag, Berlin, 1986, p. 214.
4. Klinefelter HF Jr., Reifenstein EC Jr., Albright F. Syndrome characterized by gynecomastia, asper-matogenesis without a-Leydigism and increased excretion of follicle-stimulating hormone. J Clin Endocrinol 1942;2:615-627.
6. Bradbury IT, Bunge RG, Boccabella RA. Chromatin test in Klinefelter's syndrome. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 1956;16:689-690.
7. Plunkett ER, Barr ML. Testicular dysgenesis affecting the seminiferous tubules principally, with chro-matin-positive nuclei. Lancet 1956;183:302-303.
8. Jacobs PA, Strong JA. A case of human intersexuality having a possible XXY sex-determining mechanism. Nature 1959;183:302-303.
9. Paulsen CA, Gordon DL, Carpenter RW, Gandy HM, Drucker WD. Klinefelter's syndrome and its variants: a hormonal and chromosomal study. Recent Prog Horm Res 1968;22:245-270.
10. Jacobs PA, Hassold TJ, Whittington E, et al. Klinefelter's syndrome: an analysis of the origin of the additional sex chromosome using molecular probes. Ann Hum Genet 1988;52:93-109.
11. Lowe X, Eskenazi B, Nelson DO, Kidd S, Alme A, Wyrobek AJ. Frequency of XY sperm increases with age in fathers of boys with Klinefelter syndrome. Am J Hum Genet 2001;69:1046-1054.
12. Mikamo K, Aguereif M, Hazeglin P, Martin-DU PR. Chromatin-positive Klinefelter's syndrome: a quantitative analysis of spermatogonadal deficiency at 3, 4 and 12 months of age. Fertil Steril 1968;19:731-739.
14. Sorensen K, Nielson J, Wohlert M, Bennett P, Johnsen SG. Serum testosterone of boys with karyotype 47,XXY (Klinefelter's syndrome) at birth. Lancet 1981;2:1112-1113.
15. Salbenblatt JA, Bender BG, Puck MH, Robinson A, Faiman C, Winter JS. Pituitary-gonadal function in Klinefelter's syndrome before and during puberty. Pediatr Res 1985;19:82-86.
16. Gabrilove JL, Freiberg EK, Thornton JC, Nicolis GL. Effect of age on testicular function in patients with Klinefelfter's syndrome. Clin Endocrinol (Oxf) 1979;11:343-347.
17. Patwardhan AJ, Eliez S, Bender B, Linden MG, Reiss AL. Brain morphology in Klinefelter syndrome: extra X chromosome and testosterone supplementation. Neurology 2000;54:2218-2223.
18. Wang C, Baker HW, Burger HG, DeKretser DM, Hudson B. Hormonal studies in Klinefelter's syndrome. Clin Endocrinol (Oxf) 1975;4:399-411
19. Laron Z, Dickerman Z, Zamir R, Galatzer A. Paternity in Klinefelter's syndrome-a case report. Arch Androl 1982;8:149-151.
20. Van den Bergh JP, Hermus AR, Spruyt AI, Sweep CG, Corstens FH, Smals AG. Bone mineral density and quantitative ultrasound parameters in patients with Klinefelter's syndrome after long-term testosterone substitution. Osteoporos Int 2001;12:55-62.
21. Kubler A, Schulz G, Cordes U, Beyer J, Krause U. The influence of testosterone substitution on bone mineral density in patients with Klinefelter's syndrome. Exp Clin Endocrinol 1992;100:129-132.
22. Barr ML, Shaver EL, Carr DH, Plunkett ER. The chromatin-positive Klinefelter syndrome among patients in mental deficiency hospitals. Resident J Ment Defic 1960;4:89-107
23. Schroder J, de la Chapelle A, Hakola P, Virkkunen M. The frequency of XYY and XXY men among criminal offenders. Acta Psychiatr Scand 1981;63:272-276.
24. Witkin HS, Mednich SA, Schulsinger F, et al. Criminality in XYY and XXY men. Science 1976;193:547-555.
25. Boone KB, Swerdloff RS, Miller BL, et al. Neuropsychological profiles of adults with Klinefelter's syndrome. J Int Neuropsychol Soc 2001;7:446-456.
26. Sorensen K. Physical and mental development of adolescent males with Klinefelter syndrome. Horm Res 1992;37(Suppl 3):55-61.
27. Samango-Sprouse C. Mental development in polysomy X Klinefelter syndrome: effects of incomplete X inactivation. Sem Reprod Med 2001;19:193-202.
28. Visootsak J, Aylstock M, Graham JM Jr. Klinefelter syndrome and its variants: an update and review for the primary pediatrician. Clin Pediatr 2001;40:639-651.
29. Manning MA, Hoyme HE. Diagnosis of management of the adolescent boy with Klinefelter syndrome. Adolesc Med 2002;13:367-374.
30. Maclean N, Harnden DH, Court-Brown WM. Abnormalities of sex chromosome constitution in newborn babies. Lancet 1961;2:406-408.
31. Hamerton JL, Canning N, Ray M, Smith S. A cytogenetic survey of 14,069 newborn infants. Clin Genet 1975;8:223-243.
32. Neilsen J, Wohlert M. Sex chromosome abnormalities found among 34,910 newborn children: results from a 13-year incidence study in Arhus, Denmark. Hum Genetics 1991;87:81-83.
33. Price WH, Clayton JF, Wilson J, Collyer S, DeMey R. Causes of death in X-chromatin positive males (Klinefelter's syndrome). J Epidemiol Community Health 1985;39:330-336.
34. Swerdlow AJ, Hermon C, Jacobs PA, et al. Mortality and cancer incidence in persons with numerical sex chromosome abnormalities: a cohort study. Ann Hum Genetics 2001;65:177-188.
35. Sasco AJ, Lowefels AB, Pasker-DeJong. Epidemiology of male breast cancer: a meta-analysis of published case-controlled studies and discussion of epidemiologic factors. Int J Cancer 1993;53:538-549.
36. Hasle H, Mellemgaard A, Nielsen J, Hansen J. Cancer incidence in men with Klinefelter syndrome. Br J Cancer 1995;71:416-420.
37. Lee MW, Stephens RL. Klinefelter's syndrome and extragonadal germ cell tumors. Cancer 1987;60:1053-1055.
38. French MA, Hughes P. Systemic lupus erythematosis and Klinefelter's syndrome. Ann Rheum Dis 1983;42:471-473.
39. Berginer VM, Paran E, Hirsh M, Abelliovich D. Klinefelter's and Takayasu's syndromes in one patient—a pure coincidence? Angiology 1983;34:170-175.
40. Armstrong RD, Macfarlane DG, Panayi GS. Anklyosing spondylitis and Klinefelter's syndrome: does the X chromosome modify disease expression? Br J Rheumatol 1985;24:277-281.
41. Grossman CJ. Regulation of the immune system by sex steroids. Endocr Rev 1984;5:435-455.
42. Bizzarro A, Valentini G, DiMartino G, et al. Influences of testosterone therapy on clinical and immunological features of autoimmune disease associated with Klinefelter's syndrome. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 1987;63:32-36.
43. Hsueh WA, Hsu TH, Federman DD. Endocrine features of Klinefelter's syndrome. Medicine 1978;57:447-461.
44. Neilsen J. Diabetes mellitus in patients with aneuploid chromosome aberrations and the parents. Humagenetik 1972;16:171-176.
45. Pei D, Sheu WH, Jeng C, Liao W, Fuh M. Insulin resistance in patients with Klinefelter's syndrome and idiopathic gonadotropin deficiency. J Formos Med Assoc 1998;97:534-540.
46. Jorgenson RJ. The conditions manifesting taurodontism. Am J Med Genet 1982;11:435-442.
47. Becker KL. Clinical and therapeutic experiences with Klinefelter's syndrome. Fertil Steril 1972;23:568-578.
48. Campbell WA, Newton MS, Price WH. Hypostatic leg ulceration and Klinefelter's syndrome. J Ment Defic Res 1980;24:115-117.
49. Campell WA, Price WH. Venous thromboembolic disease in Klinefelter's syndrome. Clin Genet 1981;19:275-280.
50. Laron Z, Hochman H. Small testes in prepuberal boys with Klinefelter's syndrome. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 1971;32:671-672.
51. Leonard JM, Bremner WJ, Capell PT, Paulsen CA. Male hypogonadism: Klinefelter and Reifenstein syndromes. Birth Defects 1975;11:17-22.
52. Matsumoto AM. Hormonal therapy of male hypogonadism. Endocrinol Metab Clin North Am 1994;23:857-875.
53. Nielsen J, Pelson B, Sorensen K. Follow-up of 30 Klinefelter males treated with testosterone. Clin Genet 1988;33:262-269.
54. Mackey MA, Conway AJ, Handelsmen DJ. Tolerability of intramuscular injections of testosterone ester in an oil vehicle. Hum Reprod 1995;10:862-865.
55. Nielsen J, Pelsen B. Follow-up 20 years later of 34 Klinefelter males with karyotype 47,XXY and 16 hypogonadal males with karyotype 46,XY. Hum Genet 1987;77:188-192.
56. Palermo GP, Schlegel PN, Sills ES, et al. Births after intracytoplasmic injection of sperm obtained by testicular extraction from men with non-mosaic Klinefelter syndrome. N Eng J Med 1998;338:588-590.
57. Ron-El R, Friedler S, Strassburger D, Komarovsky D, Schachter M, Raziel A. Birth of a healthy neonate following the intracytoplasmic injection of testicular spermatozoa from a patient with Klinefelter's syndrome. Hum Reprod 1999;14:368-370.
58. Nodar F, De Vincentiis S, Olmedo SB, Papier S, Urrutia F, Acosta AA. Birth of twin males with normal karotype after intracytoplasmic sperm injection with use of testicular spermatozoa from a nonmosaic patient with Klinefelter's syndrome. Fertil Steril 1999;71:1149-1152.
59. Gordon DL, Krmpotic E, Thomas W, Gandy HM, Paulsen CA. Pathologic testicular findings in Klinefelter syndrome. Arch Intern Med 1972;130:726-729.
60. Okada H, Fujioka H, Tatsumi N, et al. Klinefelter's syndrome in the male infertility clinic. Hum Repro 1999;14:946-952.
61. Foresta C, Galeazzi C, Bettella A, et al. Analysis of meiosis in intratesticular germ cells from subjects affected by classic Klinefelter syndrome. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 1999;84:3807-3810.
62. Bergere M, Wainer R, Nataf V, et al. Biopsied testis cells of four 47,XXY patients: fluorescence in-situ hybridization and ICSI results. Hum Reprod 2002;17:32-37.
63. Hennebicq S, Pelletier R, Bergues U, Rousseaux S. Risk of trisomy 21 in offspring of patients with Klinefelter's syndrome. Lancet 2001;30:2104-2105.
Was this article helpful?
All you need is a proper diet of fresh fruits and vegetables and get plenty of exercise and you'll be fine. Ever heard those words from your doctor? If that's all heshe recommends then you're missing out an important ingredient for health that he's not telling you. Fact is that you can adhere to the strictest diet, watch everything you eat and get the exercise of amarathon runner and still come down with diabetic complications. Diet, exercise and standard drug treatments simply aren't enough to help keep your diabetes under control.