Most cancers are caused by genetic mutations

Worldwide, no more than 15 percent of all cancers may be caused by viruses. What causes the other 85 percent? Because most cancers develop in older people, it is reasonable to assume that one must live long enough for a series of events to occur. This assumption turns out to be correct, and the events are genetic mutations.

DNA can be damaged in many ways. As we saw in Chapter 12, spontaneous mutations arise because of chemical changes in the nucleotides. In addition, certain mutagens, called carcinogens, can cause mutations that lead to cancer. Familiar carcinogens include the chemicals that are present in tobacco smoke and meat preservatives, ultraviolet light

171 Human Cancers Known To Be Caused by Viruses

Was this article helpful?

0 0
10 Ways To Fight Off Cancer

10 Ways To Fight Off Cancer

Learning About 10 Ways Fight Off Cancer Can Have Amazing Benefits For Your Life The Best Tips On How To Keep This Killer At Bay Discovering that you or a loved one has cancer can be utterly terrifying. All the same, once you comprehend the causes of cancer and learn how to reverse those causes, you or your loved one may have more than a fighting chance of beating out cancer.

Get My Free Ebook


Post a comment