The feeling of loss can arise from many aspects of the condition and may become a very unwelcome burden. Here are some aspects of our lives that may be lost.
• Of hope that you'll ever recover.
• Of joie de vivre, of energy, of confidence.
• Of ability to do things you did before or were planning to do.
"My plans for walking in the Picos de Europa are now on hold. Some days the Thames Path seems like Helvellyn."
• Of employment, contacts, stimulation, and income.
• Of ability to drive and its practical and social implications.
• Of ability to handle stress.
• Of relationships, of fertility.
"My husband and I were already diagnosed as infertile so we already deal with a sense of loss and now I deal with a sense of loss of my career in childcare (which I studied to replace this sense of loss). I found I could not cope as well as I had done and I miss being part of a team."
Was this article helpful?