1. Faraday, M. (1857) Experimental relations of gold (and other metals) to light. Phil. Trans. Roy. Soc. 147, 145-181.
2. Handley, D. A. (1989) The development and application of colloidal gold as a microscopic probes, in Colloidal Gold: Principles, Methods and Applications, Vol 1 (Hayat, M. A., ed.), Academic Press, San Diego, pp. 1-32.
3. Weiser, H. B. (1933) Inorganic Colloid Chemistry, Vol 1, Wiley, New York.
4. Faulk, W. and Taylor, G. (1971) An immunogold method for the electron microscope. Immunocytochemistry 8, 1081-1083.
5. Slot, J. W. and Geuze, H. J. (1985) A new method of preparing gold probes for multiple labelling cytochemistry. Eur. J. Cell. Biol. 90, 533-536.
6. Frens, G. (1973) Preparation of gold dispersions of varying size: controlled nucleation for the regulation of the particle size in monodisperse gold suspensions. Nature 241, 20-22.
7. Slot, S. W. and Geuze, H. J. (1981) Sizing of protein A—colloidal gold probes for immunoelectron microscopy. J. Cell Biol. 90, 533-536.
8. Roth, J. (1982) The protein A gold (pAg) technique—a qualitative and quantitative approach for antigen localisation on thin sections, in Techniques in Immunocytochemistry, Vol. 1 (Bullock, G. R. and Petrusz. P., eds.), Academic, London, pp. 107-133.
9. Frens, G. (1973) Controlled nucleation for the regulation of the particle size in monodisperse gold suspensions. Nat. Phys. Sci. 241, 20-22.
10. Horisberger, M. (1985) The gold method as applied to lectin cytochemistry in transmission and scanning electron microscopy, in Techniques in Immunocytochemistry, Vol. 3 (Bullock, G. R. and Petrusz. P., eds.), Academic, London, pp. 155-178.
11. Tolsen, N. D., Boothroyd, B., and Hopkins, C. R. (1981) Cell surface labelling with gold colloidal particles: the use of avidin and staphylococcal protein A-coated gold in conjunction with biotin and Fc-bear-ing ligands. J. Microsc. 123, 215-226.
12. Bendayan, M. (1985) The enzyme-gold technique: a new cytochemi-cal approach for the ultrastructural localisation of macromolecules, in Techniques in Immunocytochemistry,. Vol. 3 (Bullock, G. R. and Petrusz. P., eds.), Academic, London, pp. 179-201.
13. Malvern Instruments, Malvern, Worcestershire.
14. Beesley, J. E. (1985) Colloidal gold: a new revolution in marking immunocytochemistry. Proc. RMS. 20, 187-196.
15. De Branbender, M., Nuydens, R., Geuens, G., Moeremans, M., and De Mey, J. (1986) The use of sub-microscopic gold particles combined with video contrast enhancement as a simple molecular probe for the living cell. Cell Motil. Cytoskeleton. 6, 105-113.
16. Holgate, C. S., Jackson, P., Cowen, P., and Bird, C. C. (1983) Immunogold-silver staining: a new method of immunostaining with enhanced sensitivity. J. Histochem. Cytochem. 31, 938-944.
17. De Mey, J. (1983) Colloidal gold probes in immunocytochemistry, in Immunocytochemistry: Practical Applications in Pathology and
Biology (Polak, J. M. and Van Noorden, S., eds.), Wright-SPG, Bristol, pp. 82-112.
18. De Waele, M., De Mey, J., Renmans, W., Labeur, C., Jochmans, K., and Van Camp, B. (1986) Potential of immunogold-silver staining for the study of leucocyte sub-populations as defined by monoclonal antibodies. J. Histochem. Cytochem. 34, 1257-1263.
19. Hughes, D. (1987) Developments in IGSS: a review. Lab. Pract. 36, 62-69.
20. Ellis, I. O., Bell, J., and Bancroft, J. D. (1989) Polarized incident light microscopical enhancement of immunogold and immunogold-silver preparations: Its role in immunohistochemistry. J.Pathol. 159, 13-16.
21. Hughes, D. (1990) Immunocytochemistry—selecting an approach to the identification of aspirated human renal allograft endothelium and epithelium. Trans. R. M.S. 1, 701-706.
22. Shotton, D. M. (1989) Confocal scanning optical microscopy and its applications for biological specimens. J. Cell Sci. 94, 175-206.
23. Kramarcy, N. R. and Sealock, R. (1991) Commercial preparations of colloidal gold-antibody complexes frequently contain free active antibody. J. Histochem. Cytochem. 39, 37-39.
24. Hainfield, J. F. and Furuya, F. R. (1992) A 1.4-nm gold cluster covalently attached to antibodies improves immunolabelling. J. Histochem. Cytochem. 40, 177-184.
25. Robinson, J. M., Takizawa, T., and Vandre, D. D. (1998) Ultrasmall gold particles: important probes for immunocytochemistry. Microsc. Res. Tech. 42, 13-23.
26. Robinson, J. M., Takizawa, T., and Vandre, D. D. (2000) Enhanced labeling efficiency using ultrasmall immunogold probes: immunocy-tochemistry. J. Histochem. Cytochem. 48, 487-492.
27. De Valck, V., Renmans, W., Segers, E., Leunissen, J., and De Waele, M. (1991) Light microscopical detection of leukocyte cell surface antigens with a one-nanometer gold probe. Histochemistry 95, 483-490.
28. Baschong, W., Lucocq, J. J., and Roth, J. (1985) 'Thiocyanate gold': small (2-3 nm) colloidal gold for affinity cytochemical labelling in electron microscopy. Histochemistry 83, 409-411.
29. Baschong, W. and Stierhof, Y.-D. (1998) Preparation, use, and enlargement of ultrasmall gold particles in immunoelectron microscopy. Microsc. Res. Techn. 42, 66-79.
30. Robinson, J. M., Takizawa, T., and Vandre, D. D. (2000) Applications of gold cluster compounds in immunocytochemistry and correlative microscopy: comparison with colloidal gold. J. Microsc. 199, 163-179.
31. Hainfeld, J. F. and Powell, R. D. (2000) New frontiers in gold labeling. J. Histochem. Cytochem. 48, 471-480.
32. Jahn, W. (1999) Review: chemical aspects of the use of gold clusters in structural biology. J. Struct. Biol. 127, 106-112.
33. Frey, P. A. and Frey, T. G. (1999) Synthesis of undecagold labeling compounds and their applications in electron microscopic analysis of multiprotein complexes. J. Struct. Biol. 127, 94-100.
34. Safer, D. (1999) Undecacluster labeling of proteins at reactive cysteine residues. J. Struct. Biol. 127, 101-105.
35. Hainfeld, J. F. and Furuya, F. R. (1992) A 1.4-nm gold cluster covalently attached to antibodies improves immunolabeling. J. Histochem. Cytochem. 40, 177-184.
36. Weipoltshammer, K., Schofer, C., Almeder, M., and Wachtler, F. (2000) Signal enhancement at the electron microscopic level using Nanogold and gold-based autometallography. Histochem. Cell. Biol. 114,489-495.
37. Sawada, H. and Esaki, M. (2000) A practical technique to postfix nanogold-immunolabeled specimens with osmium and to embed them in Epon for electron microscopy. J. Histochem. Cytochem. 48, 493-498.
38. Leitinger, G., Pabst, M. A., and Kral, K. (2000) Gold toning preserves integrity of silver enhanced immunogold particles during osmium tetroxide treatment for demonstration of a biogenic amine. Brain Res. Brain Protoc. 5, 30-38.
39. Wall, J. S. (1999) Visualizing 'greengold' clusters in the STEM. J. Struct. Biol. 127, 161-168.
40. Takizawa, T., Suzuki, K., and Robinson, J. M. (1998) Correlative microscopy using FluoroNanogold on ultrathin cryosections: proof of principle. J. Histochem. Cytochem. 46, 1097-1102.
41. Takizawa, T. and Robinson, J. M. (2000) FluoroNanogold is a bifunctional immunoprobe for correlative fluorescence and electron microscopy. J. Histochem. Cytochem. 48, 481-486.
42. Takizawa, T. and Robinson, J. M. (2000) Analysis of antiphoto-bleaching reagents for use with FluoroNanogold in correlative microscopy. J. Histochem. Cytochem. 48, 433-436.
43. Powell, R. D., Halsey, C. M. R., and Hainfeld, J. F. (1998) Combined fluorescent and gold immunoprobes: reagents and methods for correlative light and electron microscopy. Microsc. Res. Techn. 42, 2-12.
44. Tubbs, R., Pettay, J., Skacel, M., Powell, R., Stoler, M., Roche P., et al. (2002) Gold-facilitated in situ hybridization: a bright-field autometallographic alternative to fluorescence in situ hybridization for detection of Her-2/neu gene amplification. Am. J. Pathol. 160, 1589-1595.
45. Tubbs, R., Skacel, M., Pettay, J., Powell, R., Myles, J., Hicks, D., et al. (2002) Inter-observer interpretative reproducibility of GOLDFISH, a first generation gold-facilitated autometallographic bright field in situ hybridization assay for HER-2/neu amplification in invasive mammary carcinoma. Am. J. Surg. Pathol. 26, 908-913.
46. Bendayan, M. (2001) Worth its weight in gold. Science 291, 1363-1365.
47. Mayer, G. and Bendayan, M. (2001) Amplification methods for the immunolocalization of rare molecules in cells and tissues. Prog. Histochem. Cytochem. 36, 3-85.
Was this article helpful?