4. List five bacteria that can cause urinary tract infection.
5. If you counted 20 colonies from a 0.01-ml inoculum of a 1:10 dilution of urine, how many organisms per milliliter of specimen would you report? Is this number significant?
6. Is the urine colony count an appropriate indicator of the need for an antimicrobial susceptibility test of an organism isolated from a urine culture? Why?
7. If you took a urine specimen for culture to the laboratory but found it temporarily closed, what would you do?
8. How would you instruct a female patient to collect her own urine specimen by the "clean-catch" technique? A male patient?
9. What can you learn from visual inspection of a urine specimen?
10. Describe a urine transport system that allows the specimen to remain at room temperature for short time periods without refrigeration.
Was this article helpful?