1. Discuss the relative convenience of pour- and streak-plate techniques in culturing clinical specimens.
2. Why are plate cultures incubated in the inverted position?
3. How do you decide which colonies should be picked from a plate culture of a mixed flora?
4. Why is it necessary to make pure subcultures of organisms grown from clinical specimens?
5. How can you determine whether a culture or subculture is pure?
6. What kinds of clinical specimens may yield a mixed flora in bacterial cultures?
7. When more than one colony type appears in a pure culture, what are the most likely sources of the extraneous organisms?
Was this article helpful?