Write the plural form of each of the following words. The word ending is underlined in each.
1. vertebra (bone of the spine) (Fig. 2-4) _vertebrae
2. ganglion (mass of nerve tissue) GANG- le-on
3. omentum (abdominal membrane) o-MEN-tum
4. testis (male gonad) TES-tis
5. lumen (central opening) _
6. matrix (background substance; mold) MA-triks
7. serum (liquid) SE-rum
FIGURE 2-4. Each bone of the spine is a vertebra (A). The spinal column is made of 26 vertebrae (B). (Reprinted with permission from Cohen BJ, Wood DL. Memmler's The Human Body in Health and Disease. 9th Ed. Philadelphia: Lippincott Williams & Wilkins, 2000.)
8. meninx (membrane around the brain and spinal cord) ME-ninks
10. pelvis (bony hip girdle) PEL-vis
11. adenoma (tumor of a gland) ad-e-NO-ma
Was this article helpful?
This ebook provides an introductory explanation of the workings of the human body, with an effort to draw connections between the body systems and explain their interdependencies. A framework for the book is homeostasis and how the body maintains balance within each system. This is intended as a first introduction to physiology for a college-level course.