Match the following terms and write the appropriate letter to the left of each number:
a. decreased rate and depth of breathing b. accidental inhalation of foreign material into the lungs c. substance that reduces surface tension d. a measure of how easily the lungs expand e. cessation of breathing a. incomplete expansion of lung tissue b. space and organs between the lungs c. expectoration d. opening between the vocal cords e. turbinate bone a. volume used in pulmonary function tests b. respiratory condition seen most often in newborns c. a lobe of the lung d. respiratory infection of the upper airways e. chronic respiratory obstructive condition
_ 17. asphyxia
25. fremitus a. high sound caused by obstruction b. device used to measure air flow c. nostrils d. childhood disease with barking cough e. vibration felt through the chest wall
Fill in the blanks:
26. The dome-shaped muscle under the lungs that flattens during inspiration is the
27. The turbinate bones contain receptors for the sense of _.
28. The double membrane that covers the lungs and lines the thoracic cavity is the
29. The scientific name for the throat is the _.
30. The small air sacs in the lungs through which gases are exchanged between the atmosphere and the blood are the _.
31. The trachea divides into the right and left main stem _.
32. The vocal cords are located in the _.
33. A pneumotropic virus is one that invades the _.
34. The tonsils located in the nasopharynx are commonly called _.
35. The term acid-fast bacillus (AFB) is commonly applied to the organism that causes
36. A person suffering from orthopnea can breathe comfortably only in a position that is
37. The amount of air moved into or out of the lungs in quiet breathing is the
38. A mucolytic agent dissolves _.
39. The partition between the two portions of the nasal cavity is the nasal
40. The amount of air that remains in the lungs after maximal exhalation is the
Word building. Write a word for each of the following definitions:
41. surgical puncture (-centesis) of the pleurae _
42. creation of an opening into the trachea _
43. inflammation of the throat _
44. inflammation of the bronchioles _
45. spasm of a bronchus _
46. hernia of the pleura _
47. incision of the phrenic nerve _
The word thorax (chest) is used as an ending in compound words that mean the accumulation of substances in the pleural space. Define each of the following terms:
48. pneumothorax accumulation of air or gas in the pleural space
49. hemothorax _
50. pyothorax _
51. hydrothorax _
Define each of the following words:
52. hypoxemia _
53. adenoidectomy _
54. bradypnea _
55. pneumonitis _
56. bronchiectasis _
57. subpulmonary _
58. rhinoplasty _
59. pharyngoxerosis _
Identify and define the root in each of the following words:
Root Meaning of Root
64. pneumonopathy _ _
Opposites. Write a word that has the opposite meaning of each of the following words:
65. hypercapnia _
66. inspiration _
67. tachypnea _
68. intubation _
69. hypopnea _
Adjectives. Write the adjective form for each of the following words:
70. alveolus _
75. bronchus _
Plurals. Write the plural form for each of the following words:
77. bronchiole _
78. alveolus _
80. bronchus _
Word analysis. Define each of the following words, and give the meaning of the word parts in each. Use a dictionary if necessary.
81. hemoptysis _
82. atelectasis _
83. epiglottis _
Was this article helpful?