2. CL Day, MC Mihm, RA Lew, MN Harris, AW Kopf, TB Fitzpatrick, TJ Harrist, FM Golomb, A Postel, P Hennesey, SL Gumport, JW Raker, RA Malt, AB Cosimi, WC Wood, DF Roses, F Gorstein, D Rigel, RJ Friedman, MM Mitzis, AJ Sober. Prognostic factors for patients with clinical Stage I melanoma of intermediate thickness (1.5-3.99 mm). Ann Surg 195:35-43, 1982.
3. CM Balch. The role of elective lymph node dissection in melanoma: Rationale, results and controversies. J Clin Oncol 6:163-172, 1988.
4. CM Balch, S-J Soong, AA Bartolucci, MM Urist, CP Karakousis, TJ Smith, WJ Temple, MI Ross, WR Jewell, MC Mihm Jr, R Barnhill, HJ Wanebo. Efficacy of an elective regional lymph node dissection of 1 to 4 mm thick melanomas for patients 60 years of age and younger. Ann Surg 224:255-266, 1996.
5. AJ Cochran, D-R Wen, DL Morton. Occult tumor cells in the lymph nodes of patients with pathological Stage I malignant melanoma: an immunohistological study. Am J Surg Pathol 12:612-618, 1988.
6. U Veronesi, J Adamus, DC Bandiera, IO Brennhovd, E Caceres, N Cascinelli, F Claudio, RL Ikonopisov, VV Javorskj, S Kirov, A Kulakowski, J Lacour, F Lejeune, Z Mechl, A Morabito, I Rode, S Sergeev, E Van Slooten, K Szczygiel, NN Trapezni-
kov, RI Wagner. Inefficacy of immediate node dissection in Stage I melanoma of the limbs. N Engl J Med 297:627-630, 1977.
7. U Veronesi, J Adamus, DC Bandiera, IO Brennhovd, E Caceres, N Cascinelli, F Claudio, RL, Ikonopisov, VV Javorski, S Kirov, A Kulakowski, F Lejeune, Z Mechl, A Morabito, I Rode, S Sergeev, E Van Slooten, NN Trapeznikov, RI Wagner. Delayed regional lymph node dissection in Stage I melanoma of the skin of the lower extremities. Cancer 49:2420-2430, 1982.
8. FH Sim, WF Taylor, JC Ivins, DJ Pritchard, EH Soule. A prospective, randomized study of the efficacy of routine elective lymphadenectomy in the management of melanoma. Cancer 41:948-956, 1978.
9. B Cady. ''Prophylactic'' lymph node dissection on melanoma: Does it help? J Clin Oncol 6:2-4, 1988.
10. AS Coats, CI Ingvar, K Peterson-Schaefer, HM Shaw, GW Milton, CJ O'Brien, JF Thompson, WH McCarthy. Elective lymph node dissection in patients with primary melanoma of the trunk and limbs treated at the Sydney Melanoma Unit from 1960 to 1991. Am Coll Surg 180:402-409, 1995.
11. BW Moore. Chemistry and biology of two proteins, S-100 and 14-3-2, specific to the nervous system. Biochem Biophys Res Commun 19:739-744, 1965.
12. R Gaynor, R Irie, DL Morton, HR Herschman. S-100 protein in cultured human malignant melanomas. Nature 286:400-401, 1980.
13. R Gaynor, HR Herschman, R Irie, PC Jones, DL Morton, AJ Cochran. S-100 protein: a marker for human malignant melanomas? Lancet 1:869-871, 1981.
14. AJ Cochran, D-R Wen, HR Herschman, RB Gaynor. Detection of S-100 protein as an aid to the identification of melanocytic tumors. Int J Cancer 30:295-297, 1982.
15. AJ Cochran, G Holland, D-R Wen, HR Herschman, WR Lee, BR Straatsma. Detection of S-100 protein in the diagnosis of primary and metastatic intraocular tumors. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci 24:1153-1155, 1983.
16. D-R Wen, RB Gaynor, AJ Cochran. S-100 protein: a marker for melanocytic tumors. Ann NY Acad Sci 420:261-266, 1983.
17. AM Gown, AM Vogel, D Heak, D Gough, MA McNutt. Monoclonal antibodies specific for melanocyte tumors distinguished subpopulations of melanocytes. Am J Pathol 123:195-203, 1986.
18. EC Hagen, C Vennegoor, RO Schlingemann, ER Van der Velde, DJ Ruiter. Correlation of histopathological characteristics with staining patterns in human malignant melanoma assessed by (monoclonal) antibodies reactive on paraffin sections. Histo-pathology 10:689-700, 1986.
19. AJ Cochran, D-R Wen, HR Herschman. Occult melanoma in lymph nodes detected by antiserum to S-100 protein. Int J Cancer 34:159-163, 1984.
20. AJ Cochran, E Pihl, D-R Wen, DSB Hoon, EL Korn. Zoned immune suppression of lymph nodes draining malignant melanoma: histologic and immunohistologic studies. J Natl Cancer Inst 78:399-405, 1987.
21. DSB Hoon, EL Korn, AJ Cochran. Variations in functional immunocompetence of human tumor-draining lymph nodes. Cancer Res 47:1740-1744, 1987.
22. DS Robinson, WF Sample, HJ Fee, C Holmes, DL Morton. Regional lymphatic drainage in primary malignant melanoma of the trunk determined by colloidal gold scanning. Surg Forum 28:147-148, 1977.
23. JH Wong, LA Cagle, DL Morton. Lymphatic drainage of skin to a sentinel lymph node in a feline model. Ann Surg 214:637-641, 1991.
24. DL Morton, D-R Wen, JH Wong, JS Economou, LA Cagle, FK Storm, LJ Foshag, AJ Cochran. Technical details of intraoperative lymphatic mapping for early stage melanoma. Arch Surg 127:392-399, 1992.
25. SD Nathanson, P Anaya, KC Karvelis, L Eck, S Havstad. Sentinel lymph node uptake of two different technetium-labelled radiocolloids. Ann Surg Oncol 4:104-110, 1996.
26. KF Carson, D-R Wen, P-X Li, AM Lana, C Bailly, DL Morton, AJ Cochran. Nodal nevi and cutaneous melanomas. Am J Surg Pathol 20:834-840, 1996.
27. AJ Cochran, C Bailly, E Paul, F Remotti. Melanocytic Tumors: A Guide to Diagnosis. Philadelphia: Lippincott-Raven, 1997.
Was this article helpful?
Complete Guide to Preventing Skin Cancer. We all know enough to fear the name, just as we do the words tumor and malignant. But apart from that, most of us know very little at all about cancer, especially skin cancer in itself. If I were to ask you to tell me about skin cancer right now, what would you say? Apart from the fact that its a cancer on the skin, that is.