1. Clark NG. Standards of care in diabetes. In: Leahy JL, Clark NG, Cefalu W, eds. Medical Management of Diabetes Mellitus. New York: Marcel Dekker, pp. 41-49, 2000.
2. American Diabetes Association. Clinical practice recommendations 2001. Diabetes Care 24(suppl 1):SI-I33, 2001.
3. American Association of Clinical Endocrinologists medical guidelines for the management of diabetes mellitus: the AACE system of intensive diabetes self-manage-ment—2000 update. Endo Prac 6:43-84, 2000.
4. National Cholesterol Education Program (NCEP). Highlights of the report of the expert panel on blood cholesterol levels in children and adolescents. Pediatrics 89: 495-501, 1992.
5. Executive summary of the third report of the National Cholesterol Education Program (NCEP) expert panel on detection, evaluation and treatment of high blood cholesterol in adults (adult treatment panel in). JAMA 285:2486-2497, 2001.
6. Haffner SM, Lehto S, Ronnemaa T, Pyorala K, Laakso M. Mortality from coronary heart disease in subjects with type 2 diabetes and in nondiabetic subjects with and without prior myocardial infarction. N Engl I Med 339:229-234, 1998.
7. The sixth report of the Joint National Committee on Prevention, Detection, Evaluation, and Treatment of High Blood Pressure. Arch Intern Med 157:2413-2446,1997.
8. Heart Outcomes Prevention Evaluation Study Investigators. Effects of ramipril on cardiovascular and microvascular outcomes in people with diabetes mellitus: results of HOPE study and MICRO-HOPE substudy. Lancet 2000 355:253-259, 2000.
9. Lewis EJ, Hunsicker LG, Clarke WR, Bed T, Pohl MA, Lewis JB, Ritz E, Atkins RC, Rohde R, Raz I. Renoprotective effect of the angiotensin-receptor antagonist irbesartan in patients with nephropathy due to type 2 diabetes. N Engl J Med 345: 851-860, 2001.
10. Brenner BM, Cooper ME. de Zeeuw D, Keane WF, Milch WE, Parving HH, Re-muzzi G, Snapinn SM, Zhang Z, Shahinfar S. Effects of losartan on renal and cardiovascular outcomes in patients with type 2 diabetes and nephropathy. N Engl J Med
I I. Parving HH, Lehnert H, B roch ner-M orten sen J, Gomis R, Andersen S, ArnerP. The §
effect of irbesartan on the development of diabetic nephropathy in patients with type M
2 diabetes. N Engl J Med 345:870-878, 2001. "
Was this article helpful?
All you need is a proper diet of fresh fruits and vegetables and get plenty of exercise and you'll be fine. Ever heard those words from your doctor? If that's all heshe recommends then you're missing out an important ingredient for health that he's not telling you. Fact is that you can adhere to the strictest diet, watch everything you eat and get the exercise of amarathon runner and still come down with diabetic complications. Diet, exercise and standard drug treatments simply aren't enough to help keep your diabetes under control.