2. Nilsson L, Hultman E. Liver glycogen in man: the effects of total starvation on a carbohydrate-poor diet followed by carbohydrate refeeding. Scand J Clin Lab Invest 32:325-330, 1973.
3. DeBodo RC, Steele R, Altszuler N, On the hormonal regulation of carbohydrate metabolism: studies with ,JC glucose. Recent Prog Horm Res 19:449-488, 1963.
4. Butler PC, Rizza RA. Contribution to postprandial hyperglycemia and effect on initial splanchnic glucose clearance of hepatic glucose cycling in glucose-intolerant or NLDDM patients. Diabetes 40:73-81, 1991.
5. Joost HG, Weber TM. The regulation of glucose transport in insulin-sensitive cells. Diabetologia 32:831-838, 1989.
6. Goodyear LJ, Kahn BB. Exercise, glucose, transport, and insulin sensitivity. Annu Rev Med 49:235-261, 1998.
7. Verdonk CA, Rizza RA, Gerich IE. Effects of plasma glucose concentration on glucose utilization and glucose clearance in normal man. Diabetes 30:535-537, 1981.
8. Firth RG, Bell PM, Marsh HM, Hansen I, Rizza RA. Postprandial hyperglycemia in patients with noninsulin-dependent diabetes mellitus: role of hepatic and extrahe-patic tissues. J Clin Invest 77:1525-1532, 1986.
9. Steiner DF, James DE. Cellular and molecular biology of beta cell. Diabetologia 35(suppl 2):S41-48, 1992.
10. Nielson JH, Galsgaard ED, Moldrup A, Friedrichsen BN, Billestrup N, Hansen JA, Lee YC, Carlsson C. Regulation of beta-cell mass by hormones and growth factors. Diabetes 50(supp) l):S25-29, 2001.
11. Leahy JL, Bumbalo LM, Chen C. Diazoxide causes recovery of p-cell glucose responsiveness in 90% pancreatectomized diabetic rats. Diabetes 43:173-179, 1994.
12. Boden G, Ruiz J, Urbain JL, Chen X. Evidence for a circadian rhythm of insulin secretion. Am J Physiol 271 (Endcrinol Metab 34):E246-E252, 1996.
13. Shapiro ET, Tillil H, Polonsky KS, Fang VS, Rubenstein AH, Cauter EV. Oscillations in insulin secretion during constant glucose infusion in normal man: relationship to changes in plasma glucose. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 67(2):307-314, 1988.
14. Lang DA, Matthews DR, Burnett M, Ward GM, Turner RC. Pulsatile, synchronous basal insulin and glucagons secretion in man. Diabetes 31:22-26, 1982.
15. Song SH, Mclntyre SM, Shah H, Veldhuis, JD, Hayes, PC, Butler, PC. Direct measurement of pulsatile insulin secretion from the portal vein in human subjects. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 85:4491-4499, 2000.
16. P0rksen N, Munn S, Ferguson D, O'Brien T, Veldhuis J, Butler PC. Coordinate pulsatile insulin secretion by chronic intraportally transplanted islets in the isolated perfused rat liver. J Clin Invest 94:219-227, 1994.
17. Laedtke T, Kjems L, P0rksen N, Schmitz, O, Veldhuis JD, Kao PC, Butler, PC. Overnight inhibition of insulin secretion restores pulsatility and the proinsulin/insulin ratio in Type 2 diabetes. Am J Physiol Endocrinol Metab 279:E520-E528, 2000.
18. Laffel L. Ketone bodies: a review of physiology, pathophysiology and application of monitoring to diabetes. Diabetes/Metab Res Rev 15(6):412-426, 1999.
19. Silverstein JH, Rosenbloom AL. New developments in type 1 (insulin-dependent) diabetes. Clin Pediatr 39(5):257-266, 2000.
20. Buse J. Insulin glargine (HOE901): first responsibilities: understanding the data and ensuring safety. Diabetes Care 23:576-578, 2000.
21. Doyle ME, Egan JM. Glucagon-like peptide-1. Recent Prog Horm Res 56:377-399, 2001.
22. Perley MJ, Kipnis DM. Plasma insulin responses to oral and intravenous glucose: studies in normal and diabetic subjects. J Clin Invest 46:1054-1962, 1967.
23. Firth R, Bell P, Marsh M, Rizza RA. Effects of tolazamide and exogenous insulin on pattern of postprandial carbohydrate metabolism in patients with non-insulin-dependent diabetes mellitus: results of randomized crossover trial. Diabetes 36: 1130-1138, 1987.
Copyright © Marcel Dekker, Inc. All rights reserved.
Was this article helpful?
All you need is a proper diet of fresh fruits and vegetables and get plenty of exercise and you'll be fine. Ever heard those words from your doctor? If that's all heshe recommends then you're missing out an important ingredient for health that he's not telling you. Fact is that you can adhere to the strictest diet, watch everything you eat and get the exercise of amarathon runner and still come down with diabetic complications. Diet, exercise and standard drug treatments simply aren't enough to help keep your diabetes under control.