1. Which of these statements about hypothalamic-releasing hormones is true?
b. They are transported by portal veins to the anterior pituitary.
c. They stimulate the secretion of specific hormones from the anterior pituitary.
d. All of these are true.
3. Which of these statements about the adrenal cortex is true?
a. It is not innervated by nerve fibers.
b. It secretes some androgens.
c. The zona glomerulosa secretes aldosterone.
d. The zona fasciculata is stimulated by ACTH.
e. All of these are true.
4. Which of these statements about the hormone insulin is true?
b. It is secreted in response to a rise in blood glucose.
c. It stimulates the production of glycogen and fat.
Match the hormone with the primary agent that stimulates its secretion.
5. epinephrine a. TSH
6. thyroxine b. ACTH
7. corticosteroids c. growth hormone
9. Steroid hormones are secreted by a. the adrenal cortex.
b. the gonads.
10. The secretion of which of these hormones would be increased in a person with endemic goiter?
b. thyroxine c. triiodothyronine d. all of these
11. Which of these hormones uses cAMP as a second messenger?
a. testosterone b. cortisol c. insulin d. epinephrine
12. Which of these terms best describes the interactions of insulin and glucagon?
a. synergistic b. permissive c. antagonistic d. cooperative
13. Which of these correctly describes the role of inositol triphosphate in hormone action?
a. It activates adenylate cyclase.
c. It activates protein kinase.
d. all of these
14. Which of these hormones may have a primary role in many circadian rhythms?
a. estradiol b. insulin c. adrenocorticotropic hormone d. melatonin
Was this article helpful?