• Bones support and protect the pituitary gland (p. 299)
• Bones store calcium, which is needed for the action of many hormones . . . .(p. 623)
• Anabolic hormones, including growth hormone, stimulate bone development (p. 622)
• Parathyroid hormone and calcitonin regulate calcium deposition and resorption in bones (p. 624)
• Sex hormones help to maintain bone mass in adults (p. 625)
Was this article helpful?
This ebook provides an introductory explanation of the workings of the human body, with an effort to draw connections between the body systems and explain their interdependencies. A framework for the book is homeostasis and how the body maintains balance within each system. This is intended as a first introduction to physiology for a college-level course.