• Gonadal hormones help to regulate the secretions of the anterior pituitary (p. 640)
• Pituitary hormones regulate the ovarian cycle (p. 656)
• Testicular androgens regulate the male accessory sex organs (p. 644)
• Ovarian hormones regulate the uterus during the menstrual cycle (p. 660)
• Oxytocin plays an essential role in labor and delivery (p. 675)
• The placenta secretes several hormones that influence the course of pregnancy (p. 673)
• Several hormones are needed for lactation in a nursing mother (p. 678)
Was this article helpful?
This ebook provides an introductory explanation of the workings of the human body, with an effort to draw connections between the body systems and explain their interdependencies. A framework for the book is homeostasis and how the body maintains balance within each system. This is intended as a first introduction to physiology for a college-level course.