After studying this chapter, you should be able to .
1. describe how the chromosomal content determines the sex of an embryo and how this relates to the development of testes or ovaries.
4. explain how the secretions of FSH and LH are regulated in the male and describe the actions of these hormones on the testis.
effects of androgens on the male accessory sex organs.
9. describe the four phases of the human sexual response.
11. explain the hormonal interactions involved in the control of ovulation.
12. describe the changes in the secretion of ovarian sex steroids during a nonfertile cycle and explain the function and fate of the corpus luteum.
13. explain how the secretion of FSH and LH is controlled through negative and positive feedback mechanisms during a menstrual cycle.
explain how contraceptive pills prevent ovulation.
15. describe the cyclic changes that occur in the endometrium and the hormonal mechanisms that cause these changes.
17. explain how menstruation and further ovulation are normally prevented during pregnancy.
18. describe the structure and functions of the placenta.
19. list the hormones secreted by the placenta and describe their actions.
21. describe the hormonal requirements for development of the mammary glands during pregnancy and explain how lactation is prevented during pregnancy.
describe the milk-ejection reflex.
Before you begin this chapter, you may want to review these concepts from previous chapters:
DNA Synthesis and Cell Division 69
Mechanism of Steroid Hormone Action 293
Was this article helpful?
Put an end to the disappointment, frustration and embarrassment of... Erectile Dysfunction. Have Sex Like You are 18 Years Old Again. Have a natural powerfully stiff penis. Eject volumes of semen. Do it again and again night after night. Never make another excuse for not being able to get it up.