2. describe the nature of a muscle twitch and explain how summation and tetanus are produced.
3. distinguish among isometric, isotonic, and eccentric contractions.
5. define the term motor unit and explain how motor units are used to control muscle contraction.
7. explain what is meant by the sliding filament theory of contraction.
8. list the events that occur during cross-bridge cycles and describe the role of ATP in muscle contraction.
11. describe the function of Golgi tendon organs and explain why a slow, gradual muscle stretch could avoid the spasm that may result from a rapid stretch.
14. describe the neural pathways involved in the pyramidal and extrapyramidal systems.
16. explain how slow-twitch, fast-twitch, and intermediate fibers differ in structure and function.
19. describe the structure of smooth muscle and explain how its contraction is regulated.
Fox: Human Physiology, I 12. Muscle: Mechanisms of I Text I © The McGraw-Hill
Eighth Edition Contraction and Neural Companies, 2003
Was this article helpful?
This ebook provides an introductory explanation of the workings of the human body, with an effort to draw connections between the body systems and explain their interdependencies. A framework for the book is homeostasis and how the body maintains balance within each system. This is intended as a first introduction to physiology for a college-level course.