1. locate the major brain regions and describe the structures within each of these regions.
2. describe the organization of the cerebrum and the primary roles of its lobes.
3. describe the location and functions of the sensory cortex and motor cortex.
4. explain the lateralization of functions in the right and left cerebral hemispheres.
5. describe the structures involved in the control of speech and explain their interrelationships.
6. describe the different types of aphasias that result from damage to specific regions of the brain.
describe the structures included in the limbic system and discuss the possible role of this system in emotion.
8. distinguish between different types of memory and describe the roles of different brain regions in memory.
9. describe the location of the thalamus and explain the significance of this region.
10. describe the location of the hypothalamus and explain the significance of this region.
13. describe the origin and pathways of the pyramidal motor tracts and explain the significance of these descending tracts.
15. describe the structures and pathways involved in a reflex arc.
Fox: Human Physiology, I 8. The Central Nervous I Text I I © The McGraw-Hill
Eighth Edition System Companies, 2003
Structural Organization of the Brain 190
Was this article helpful?
This ebook provides an introductory explanation of the workings of the human body, with an effort to draw connections between the body systems and explain their interdependencies. A framework for the book is homeostasis and how the body maintains balance within each system. This is intended as a first introduction to physiology for a college-level course.