• Glucose enters neurons by facilitative diffusion (p. 135)
• Voltage-gated ion channels produce action potentials, or nerve impulses (p. 161)
• Ion channels in particular regions of a neuron open in response to binding to a chemical ligand known as a neurotransmitter (p. 169)
• Neurotransmitters are released by axons through the process of exocytosis .(p. 169)
• Sensory stimuli generally cause the opening of ion channels and depolarization of receptor cells (p. 242)
Was this article helpful?
This ebook provides an introductory explanation of the workings of the human body, with an effort to draw connections between the body systems and explain their interdependencies. A framework for the book is homeostasis and how the body maintains balance within each system. This is intended as a first introduction to physiology for a college-level course.