• Glucose enters neurons by facilitative diffusion (p. 135)
• Voltage-gated ion channels produce action potentials, or nerve impulses (p. 161)
• Ion channels in particular regions of a neuron open in response to binding to a chemical ligand known as a neurotransmitter (p. 169)
• Neurotransmitters are released by axons through the process of exocytosis .(p. 169)
• Sensory stimuli generally cause the opening of ion channels and depolarization of receptor cells (p. 242)
Was this article helpful?
All you need is a proper diet of fresh fruits and vegetables and get plenty of exercise and you'll be fine. Ever heard those words from your doctor? If that's all heshe recommends then you're missing out an important ingredient for health that he's not telling you. Fact is that you can adhere to the strictest diet, watch everything you eat and get the exercise of amarathon runner and still come down with diabetic complications. Diet, exercise and standard drug treatments simply aren't enough to help keep your diabetes under control.