• The immune system protects all organs against infections, including those of the digestive system (p. 446)
• Lymphatic vessels carry absorbed fat from the small intestine to the venous system (p. 590)
• The liver aids the immune system by metabolizing certain toxins and excreting them in the bile (p. 579)
• The mucosa of the GI tract contains lymph nodules that protect against disease (p. 451)
• Acids and enzymes secreted by the GI tract provide nonspecific defense against microbes (p. 446)
Was this article helpful?
This ebook provides an introductory explanation of the workings of the human body, with an effort to draw connections between the body systems and explain their interdependencies. A framework for the book is homeostasis and how the body maintains balance within each system. This is intended as a first introduction to physiology for a college-level course.