• Gastrin, produced by the stomach, helps to regulate the secretion of gastric juice (p. 584)
• Several hormones secreted by the small intestine regulate different aspects of the digestive system (p. 583)
• A hormone produced by the intestine stimulates the pancreatic islets to secrete insulin (p. 585)
• Adipose tissue secretes leptin, which helps to regulate hunger (p. 606)
• The liver removes some hormones from the blood, changes them chemically, and excretes them in the bile (p. 579)
Was this article helpful?
This ebook provides an introductory explanation of the workings of the human body, with an effort to draw connections between the body systems and explain their interdependencies. A framework for the book is homeostasis and how the body maintains balance within each system. This is intended as a first introduction to physiology for a college-level course.