• Sex hormones promote muscle development and maintenance . . .(p. 609)
• Parathyroid hormone and other hormones regulate blood calcium and phosphate concentrations (p. 624)
• Epinephrine and norepinephrine influence contractions of cardiac muscle and smooth muscles (p. 227)
• Insulin promotes glucose entry into skeletal muscles (p. 611)
• Adipose tissue secretes hormones that regulate the sensitivity of muscles to insulin (p. 606)
Was this article helpful?
This ebook provides an introductory explanation of the workings of the human body, with an effort to draw connections between the body systems and explain their interdependencies. A framework for the book is homeostasis and how the body maintains balance within each system. This is intended as a first introduction to physiology for a college-level course.