1. If the cambium of a tropical tree were active all year long, how would its wood differ from that of a typical temperate climate tree?
2. It was mentioned that a nail driven into the side of a tree will remain at exactly the same distance from the ground for the life of the tree. Why?
3. Do climbing plants have any advantages over erect plants? Any disadvantages?
4. If two leaves are removed from a plant and one is coated with petroleum jelly while the other is not, the uncoated leaf will shrivel considerably sooner than the coated one. Would it be helpful to coat the stems of young trees with petroleum jelly? Explain.
5. Suggest some reasons for heartwood being preferred to sapwood for making furniture.
Visit our web page at www.mhhe.com/botany for interesting case studies, practice quizzes, current articles, and animations within the Online Learning Center to help you understand the material in this chapter. You'll also find active links to these topics:
Economic and Ecological Importance of Angiosperms
Was this article helpful?
This ebook provides an introductory explanation of the workings of the human body, with an effort to draw connections between the body systems and explain their interdependencies. A framework for the book is homeostasis and how the body maintains balance within each system. This is intended as a first introduction to physiology for a college-level course.