1. World Health Organization (1999) The world health report. Making a difference. World Health Org. 3, 310-320.
2. Bender, B.S., Nagel, J.E., and Adler, W.H. (1986) Absolute peripheral lymphocyte count and subsequent mortality in elderly males: The Baltimore Longitudinal Study of Aging. J. Am. Geriatr. Soc. 34, 649-654.
3. Girling, D.J. (1982) Adverse effects of antituberculous drugs. Drugs 23, 56-74.
4. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (1990) Prevention and control of tuberculosis in facilities providing long-term care to the elderly. M.M.W.R. 39/RR-10, 7-20.
5. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (1999) Tuberculosis elimination revisited: obstacles, opportunities, and renewed commitment. Advisory Council for the Elimination of Tuberculosis. M.M.W.R. 48/RR-9, 1-14.
6. McKenna, M.T., Mccray, E., Jones, J.L., et al. (1998) The fall after the rise: tuberculosis in the United States, 1991 through 1994. Am. J. Public Health 88, 1059-1063.
7. Zubert, P.L.F., McKenna, M.T., Binkin, N.J., et al. (1997) Long-term risk of tuberculosis among foreign-born persons in the United States. JAMA 278, 304-307.
8. Davies, P.D.O. (1994) Tuberculosis in the elderly. J. Anticrob. Chemother. 34(Suppl. A), 93-100.
9. Yoshikawa, T.T. (1992) Tuberculosis in aging adults. J. Am. Geriatr. Soc. 40, 178-187
10. Stead, W., Lofgren, J., Warren, E., et al. (1985) Tuberculosis as an endemic and nosocomial infection among the elderly in nursing homes. N. Eng. J. Med. 312, 1483-1487.
11. Chaparas, S.D. (1982) Immunity in tuberculosis. Bull. W.H.O. 60, 447-462.
12. Bloom, B.R. (1994) Tuberculosis in Pathogenesis, Protection and Control: Immune Mechanisms of Protection, American Society for Microbiology Press, Washington, DC, pp. 389-415.
13. Orme, I.M. (1987) Aging and immunity to tuberculosis: increased susceptibility of old mice reflects a decreased capacity to generate mediator T lymphocytes. J. Immunol. 138, 4414-4418.
14. Morris, C.D.W. (1989) The radiography, haematology and bronchoscopy of pulmonary tuberculosis in the aged. Q. J. Med. 71, 529-536
15. Yoshikawa, T.T. and Norman, D.C. (1987) Infectious Diseases and Diagnosis and Treatment. Aging and Clinical Practice, Igaku-Shoin, New York, pp. 127-139.
16. Sahn, S.A. and Neff, T.A. (1974) Miliary tuberculosis. Am. J. Med. 56, 495-505.
17. Saltman, R.L. and Peterson, P.K. (1987) Immunodeficiency of the elderly. Rev. Infect. Dis. 9, 1127-1139.
18. Nagami, P. and Yoshikawa, T.T. (1983) Tuberculosis in the geriatric patient. J. Am. Geriatr. Soc. 31, 356-363.
19. Molavi, A. and LeFrock, J.L. (1985) Tuberculous meningitis. Med. Clin. North Am. 69, 315-331.
20. Tuli, S.M. (1975) Results of treatment of spinal tuberculosis by "middle path" regime. J. Bone Joint Surg. (British Volume) 57, 13-23.
21. Paus, B. (1977) The changed pattern of bone and joint tuberculosis in Norway. Acta Orthop. Scand. 48, 277-279.
22. Evanchick, C.C., Davis, D.E., and Harrington, T.M. (1986) Tuberculosis of peripheral joints: an often missed diagnosis. J. Rheum. 13, 187-189.
23. Quinn W. (1984) Genitourinary tuberculosis: a study of 1117 cases over a period of 34 years. Br. J. Urol. 56, 449-455.
24. Alvarez, S. and McCabe, W. (1984) Extrapulmonary tuberculosis revisisted: A review of experience at Boston City and other hospitals. Medicine 63, 25-55.
25. Lai, K.K., Stottmeier, K.D., Sherman, I.H., et al. (1984) Mycobacterial cervical lymphad-enopathy. Relation of etiologic agents to age. JAMA 251, 1286-1288.
26. Nash, D.R. and Douglass, J.E. (1980) Anergy in active pulmonary tuberculosis. A comparison between positive and negative reactors and an evaluation of 5 TU and 250 TU skin test doses. Chest 77, 32-35.
27. Thompson, N.J., Glassroth, J.L., Snider, D.E., Jr., et al. (1979) The booster phenomenon in serial tuberculin screening. Am. Rev. Respir. Dis. 119, 587-597.
28. Dutt, A.K., Moers, D., and Stead, W.W. (1989) Smear and culture negative pulmonary tuberculosis: four month short course chemotherapy. Am. Rev. Resp. Dis. 139, 867-870.
29. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (1996) Nuclei acid amplification tests for tuberculosis. M.M.W.R. 45, 950-952.
30. American Thoracic Society (1994) Treatment and prevention of tuberculosis in adults and children. Am. J. Resp. Crit. Care Med. 149, 1359-1374.
31. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (1990) Screening for tuberculosis and tuberculosis infection in high-risk populations. Recommendations of the Advisory Committee for Elimination of Tuberculosis M.M.W.R. 39/RR-8, 1-7.
32. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (1990) Prevention and control of tuberculosis in facilities providing long-term care to the elderly. Recommendations of the Advisory Committee for Elimination of Tuberculosis M.M.W.R. 39/RR-10, 7-20.
Was this article helpful?
The comprehensive new ebook All About Alzheimers puts everything into perspective. Youll gain insight and awareness into the disease. Learn how to maintain the patients emotional health. Discover tactics you can use to deal with constant life changes. Find out how counselors can help, and when they should intervene. Learn safety precautions that can protect you, your family and your loved one. All About Alzheimers will truly empower you.