1. Bell, R. A. and High, K. P. (1997) Alterations of immune defense mechanisms in the elderly: the role of nutrition. Infect. Med. 14, 415-424.
2. Lesourd, B., Mazari, L., and Ferry, M. (1998) The role of nutrition in immunity in the aged. Nutr. Rev. 56, S113-S125.
4. Singh, M. A. and Rosenberg, I. H. (1999) Nutrition and aging, in Principles of Geriatric Medicine and Gerontology (Hazzard,W. R., Blass, J. P., Ettinger, Jr., et al., eds.), McGraw-Hill, New York, pp. 81-96.
5. Morley, J. E., Mooradian, A. D., and Silver, A. J. (1988) Nutrition in the elderly. Ann. Intern. Med. 109, 890-905.
6. Morley, J. E., Silver, A . J., Miller, D. K., et al. (1989) The anorexia of the elderly. Ann. N. Y. Acad. Sci. 575, 50-58.
7. Constans ,T., Bacq, Y., Brechot, J.-F., et al. (1992) Protein-energy malnutrition in elderly medical patients. J. Am. Geriatr. Soc. 40, 263-268.
8. Rudman, D. and Feller, A. G. (1989) Protein-calorie undernutrition in the nursing home. J. Am. Geriatr. Soc. 37, 173-183.
9. Volkert, D., Kruse, W., Oster, P., et al. (1992) Malnutrition in geriatric patients: diagnostic and prognostic significance of nutritional parameters. Ann. Nutr. Metab. 36, 97-112.
10. Sullivan, D. H. and Walls, R. C. (1995) The risk of life-threatening complications in a select population of geriatric patients: the impact of nutritional status. J. Am. Coll. Nutr. 14, 29-36.
11. Sullivan, D. H., Sun, S., and Walls, R. C. (1999) Protein-energy undernutrition among elderly hospitalized patients. A prospective study. JAMA 281, 2013-2019.
12. Wilson, M. G., Caswani, S., Liu, D., et al. (1998) Prevalence and causes of undernutrition in medical outpatients. Am. J. Med. 104, 56-63.
13. Azais-Braesco, V., Moriniere, C., Guesne, B., et al. (1995) Vitamin A status in the institutionalized elderly. Critical analysis of four evaluation criteria: dietary vitamin A intake, serum retinol, relative dose-response test (RDR) and impression cytology with transfer (ICT). Int. J. Vit. Nutr. Res. 65, 151-161.
14. Semba, R. D., Muhilal, Scott, A. L., et al. (1994) Effect of vitamin A supplementation on immunoglobulin G subclass responses to tetanus toxoid in children. Clin. Diagn. Lab. Immunol. 1, 172-175.
15. Gloth, F. M., Gundberg, C. M., Hollis, B. W., et al. (1995) Vitamin D deficiency in homebound elderly persons. JAMA 274, 1683-1686.
16. Fata, F. T., Herzlich, B. C., Schiffman, G., et al. (1996) Impaired antibody responses to pneumococcal polysaccharide in elderly patients with low serum vitamin B12 levels. Ann. Intern. Med. 124, 299-304.
17. Chandra, R. K. (1992) Effect of vitamin and trace-element supplementation on immune responses and infection in elderly subjects. Lancet 340, 1124-1127.
18. Meydani, S. N., Meydani, M., Blumberg, J. B., et al. (1997) Vitamin E supplementation and in vivo immune response in healthy elderly subjects. A randomized controlled trial. JAMA 277, 1380-1386.
19. Prasad, A. S., Fitzgerald, J. T., Hess, J . W., et al. (1993) Zinc deficiency in elderly patients. Nutrition 9, 218-224.
20. Barrocas, A., Belcher, D., Champagne, C., et al. (1995) Nutrition assessment practical approaches. Clin. Geriatr. Med. 11, 675-713.
21. Pike, J. and Chandra, R. K. (1995) Effect of vitamin and trace element supplementation on immune indices in healthy elderly. Int. J. Vit. Nutr. 65, 117-120.
22. Penn, N. D., Purkins, L., Kelleher, J., et al. (1991) The effect of dietary supplementation with Vitamins A, C and E on cell-mediated immune function in elderly long-stay patients: a randomized controlled trial. Age Aging 20, 169-174.
23. Bogden, J. D., Bendich, A., Kemp, F. W., et al. (1994) Daily micronutrient supplements enhance delayed-hypersensitivity skin test responses in older people. Am. J. Clin. Nutr. 60, 437-447.
24. Chandra, R. K., Joshi, P., Au, B., et al. (1982) Nutrition and immunocompetence of the elderly: effect of short-term nutritional supplementation on cell-mediated immunity and lymphocyte subsets. Nutr. Res. 2, 223-232.
25. Chavance, M., Herbeth, B., Lemoine, A., et al. (1993) Does multivitamin supplementation prevent infections in healthy elderly subjects? A controlled trial. Int. J. Vit. Nutr. Res. 63, 11-16.
26. Roebothan, B. V. and Chandra, R. K. (1994) Relationship between nutritional status and immune function of elderly people. Age Aging 23, 49-53.
27. Bogden, D., Oleske, J. M., Lavenhar, M. A., et al. (1988) Zinc and immunocompetence in elderly people: Effects of zinc supplementation for 3 months. Am. J. Clin. Nutr. 48,655-663.
28. Bogden, J. D., Oleske, J. M., Lavenhar, M. A., et al. (1990) Effects of one year of supplementation with zinc and other micronutrients on cellular immunity in the elderly. J. Am. Coll. Nutr. 9, 214-225.
29. Fortes, C., Forastiere, F., Agabiti, N., et al. (1998) The effect of zinc and vitamin A supplementation on immune response in an older population. J. Am. Geriatr. Soc. 46, 19-26.
30. Remarque, E. J., Witkakmp. L., Masurel, N., et al. (1993) Zinc supplementation does not enhance antibody formation to influenza virus vaccine in the elderly. Aging Immunol. Infect. Dis. 4, 17-23.
31. Wagner, P. A., Jernigan, J. A., Bailey, L. B., et al. (1983) Zinc nutriture and cell-mediated immunity in the aged. Int. J. Vit. Nutr. Res. 53, 94-101.
32. Cossack, Z. T. (1989) T-lymphocyte dysfunction in the elderly associated with zinc deficiency and subnormal nucleoside phosphorylase activity: effect of zinc supplementation. Eur. J. Cancer Clin. Oncol. 25, 973-976.
33. Duchateau, J., Delepesse, G., Vrijens, R., et al. (1981) Beneficial effects of oral zinc supplementation on the immune response of old people. Am. J. Med. 70, 1001-1004.
34. Meydani, S. N., Barklung, M. P., Siu, S., et al. (1990) Vitamin E supplementation enhances cell-mediated immunity in healthy elderly subjects. Am. J. Clin. Nutr. 52, 557-563.
35. Meydani, S. N., Leka, L., and Loszewski, R. (1994) Long term vitamin E supplementation enhances immune response in healthy elderly. FASEB J. 8, A272.
36. Watson, R. R., Probhala, R. H., Plezia, P. M., et al. (1991) Effect of beta-carotene on lymphocyte subpopulations in elderly humans: evidence for a dose-response effect. Am. J. Clin. Nutr. 53, 90-94.
37. Murphy, S., West, K. P. J., Greenough, W. B., et al. (1992) Impact of vitamin A supplementation on the incidence of infection in elderly nursing-home residents: a randomized controlled trial. Age Aging 21, 435-439.
38. Proust, J., Moulias, R., Fumeron, F., et al. (1982) HLA and longevity. Tissue Antigens 19, 168-173.
39. Kennes, B., Dumont, I., Brohee, D., et al. (1983) Effect of vitamin C supplementation on cell-mediated immunity in old people. Gerontology 29, 305-310.
40. Ziemlanski, S., Wartanowicz, M., Panczenko-Kresowska, B., et al. (1986) The effects of ascorbic acid and alpha-tocopherol supplementation on serum proteins and immunoglobulin concentrations in the elderly. Nutr. Int. 2, 1.
41. Meydani, S. N., Hayek, M., and Coleman, L. (1992) Influence of Vitamins E and B6 on immune response. Ann. N.Y. Acad. Sci. 669, 125-139.
42. Girodon, F., Lombard, M., Galan, P., et al. (1997) Effect of micronutrient supplementation on infection in institutionalized elderly subjects: a controlled trial. Ann. Nutr. Metab. 41, 98-107.
43. Posner, B. M., Jette, A. M., and Smith, M. A. (1993) Nutrition and health risks in the elderly: the nutrition screening initiative. Am. J. Public Health 83, 972-978.
44. Semba, R. D. (1998) The role of vitamin A and related retinoids in immune function. Nutr. Rev. 56, S38-S48.
45. Santos, M. S., Meydani, S. N., Leka, L., et al. (1996) Natural killer cell activity in elderly men is enhanced by beta-carotene supplementation. Am. J. Clin. Nutr. 64, 772-777.
46. The Alpha-Tocopherol, Beta-Carotene Cancer Prevention Study Group (1994) The effect of vitamin E and beta carotene on the incidence of lung cancer and other cancers in male smokers. N. Engl. J. Med. 330, 1029-1035.
47. Omenn, G. S., Goodman, G., Thornquist, M., et al. (1996) Effects of combination of beta carotene and vitamin A on lung cancer and cardiovascular disease. N. Engl. J. Med. 334, 1150-1155.
48. Hunt, C., Chakravorty, N. K., Annan, G., et al. (1994) The clinical effects of vitamin C supplementation in elderly hospitalised patients with acute respiratory infections. Int. J. Vit. Nutr. Res. 64, 212-219.
49. Wilkinson, E. A. J. and Hawke, C. I. (1998) Does oral zinc aid the healing of chronic leg ulcers? Arch. Dermatol. 134, 1556-1560.
50. Riquelme, R., Torres, A., El-Ebiary, M., et al. (1997) Community-acquired pneumonia in the elderly. Clinical and nutritional aspects. Am. J. Respir. Care Med. 156, 1908-1914.
51. Woo, J., Ho, S. C., Mak, Y. T., et al. (1994) Nutritional status of elderly patients during recovery from chest infection and the role of nutritional supplementation assessed by a prospective randomized single-blind trial. Age Aging 23, 40-48.
Was this article helpful?