1. Welsch, S., Nutrient standards, dietary guidelines, and food guides, in Present Knowledge in Nutrition, Ziegler, E. E. and Filer, L. J., Eds., ILSI Press, Washington, D.C., 1996.
2. James, W. P. T., Healthy Nutrition: Preventing Nutrition-related Diseases, Europe, WHO, Regional Publications, European Series 24, 4-6, 1988.
3. Food and Nutrition Board, Diet and Health, Implications for Reducing Chronic Diseases, Washington, D.C., National Academy Press, 10th ed., 1989.
4. Milner, J., Functional foods and nutraceuticals: the U.S. perspective, 17th Ross Conference on Medical Issues, Am. J. Clin. Nutr, 71, (suppl.), 16545-16595, 2000.
5. Roberfroid, M., Defining functional foods, in Functional Foods: From Concept to Product, Williams C. M. and Gibson G. R., Eds., Woodhead, Cambridge, U.K., 2000.
6. IFIC Foundation, Functional foods: opening the door to better health, Food Insight, November/December, 1995.
7. Rimersma, R. A., A fat little earner, Lancet, 347, 775-776, 1996.
8. Coghlan, A., A plateful of medicine, New Scientist, 2054, 12-13, 1996.
9. Hillian, M., Functional foods: current and future market developments, Food Technol. Int. Eur., 25-31, 1995.
10. Smith, B. L., Marcotte, M., Harman, G. A., Comparative analysis of the regulatory framework affecting functional food development and commercialisation in Canada, Japan, the European Union and the United States of America. Ottawa, Intersector Alliance Inc., 1996.
11. Health Canada, Policy Options Analysis: Nutraceuticals/Functional Foods, Health Canada, Health Canada Protection Branch, Therapeutic Products Programme and Food Directorate, Ottawa, 1997.
12. Food and Nutrition Board, Institute of Medicine, in Opportunities in the Nutrition and Food Sciences, National Academy Press Washington, D.C., 1994.
13. Diplock, A. T., Aggett, P. J., Ashwell, M., Bornet, F., Fern, E. B., Roberfroid, M. B., Scientific concepts of functional foods in Europe: consensus document, Br. J. Nutr., 81, (suppl. 1), S1-S28, 1999.
14. Codex Alimentarius, Codex General Guidelines on Claims, CAC/GL 1, Revision 1, 1991.
15. IFIC Foundation, The consumer view on functional foods: yesterday and today, Food Insight, May/June, 2002.
16. Coussement, P., Communicating about gut health to the consumer: presenting the BENEO® Program, Br. J. Nutr., 87, (suppl. 2), S301-S303, 2002.
17. Council of Europe, Council of Europe's Policy Statements concerning Nutrition, Food Safety and Consumer Health, Technical document: Guidelines concerning scientific substantiation of health-related claims for functional foods, Council of Europe, Strasbourg, France, 2000.
18. Bellisle, F., Diplock, A. T., Hornstra, A. G., Koletzko, B., Roberfroid, M., Salminen, S., Saris, W., Functional food science in Europe, Br. J. Nutr., 80, (suppl. 1), S1-S193, 1998.
19. Gibson, G., Roberfroid, M., Eds, Colonic Microbiota, Nutrition and Health, Kluwer Academic, Dordrecht, The Netherlands, 1999.
20. Hanson, L. A., Yolken, R. H., Eds, Probiotics and Other Nutritional Factors, and Intestinal Microflora. Lippincott-Raven, Philadelphia, PA, 1999.
21. Roberfroid, M., Champ, M., Gibson, G., Nutritional and health benefits of inulin and oligofructose, Br. J. Nutr., 87 (suppl. 2); S 139-S 311, 2002.
Was this article helpful?